Heat and Mass Transfer: Nodal Networks

In summary, nodal networks are used in heat and mass transfer to represent and derive values. The types of nodes used, such as temperature or emissive power, depend on the specific problem being solved. The relationship between these values must be known in order to accurately use both types of nodes in the network.
jdawg

Homework Statement

So this is more of a really vague conceptual question, I'm sorry if it doesn't really make sense. I'm in the stage of learning this where I don't quite understand things well enough to form a proper question.

I'm a little bit confused about nodal networks in heat and mass transfer. At the beginning of the semester when we did resistive networks, we used temperatures at the nodes of the network. Then we studied exclusively radiation, and black body emissive power and sometimes radiosity were used at the nodes of the network. Finally we studied multi-mode heat transfer, and some nodes in the network were temperature and some were emissive power or radiosity.

I guess I'm confused about when to use which? I'm pretty good at guessing at what to use at the nodes just from looking at which chapter the problem falls in, but I want to understand what I'm doing. I appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

So this is more of a really vague conceptual question, I'm sorry if it doesn't really make sense. I'm in the stage of learning this where I don't quite understand things well enough to form a proper question.

I'm a little bit confused about nodal networks in heat and mass transfer. At the beginning of the semester when we did resistive networks, we used temperatures at the nodes of the network. Then we studied exclusively radiation, and black body emissive power and sometimes radiosity were used at the nodes of the network. Finally we studied multi-mode heat transfer, and some nodes in the network were temperature and some were emissive power or radiosity.

I guess I'm confused about when to use which? I'm pretty good at guessing at what to use at the nodes just from looking at which chapter the problem falls in, but I want to understand what I'm doing. I appreciate any help!

To give perspective I am an electrical engineer, but I have used nodal networks to analyze some heat problems as well. I will take a shot at answering this question.

A nodal network is simply a mathematical/graphical tool to represent and derive values. see the following link for reference: https://drive.uqu.edu.sa/_/kmguedri/files/A-HT-1-Chap5.pdf

My question for you, if both temperature and emissive power are represented, what is the relationship between them?
In general for a problem you have known inputs and required outputs. You use known vlaues about your model, along with known inputs to work your way to the required outputs. If known inputs are both emisive power and temperature, then you'll need to work your model to include both of them, which will require a known relationship between them.

What is heat and mass transfer?

Heat and mass transfer is the movement of thermal energy and matter from one place to another. It occurs in a variety of processes, such as conduction, convection, and radiation, and is important in many scientific and engineering applications.

What are nodal networks in heat and mass transfer?

Nodal networks are a way of representing complex heat and mass transfer systems by breaking them down into smaller, interconnected nodes. These nodes can represent different components of the system, such as walls or fluids, and their interactions can be described using mathematical equations.

What are the main principles of heat transfer?

The three main principles of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material, convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid (such as air or water), and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

How does mass transfer differ from heat transfer?

Mass transfer involves the movement of matter from one place to another, while heat transfer involves the movement of thermal energy. Mass transfer can occur through processes such as diffusion, whereas heat transfer cannot. However, both processes often occur simultaneously in real-world systems.

What are some real-world applications of heat and mass transfer?

Heat and mass transfer have many applications in everyday life, such as in cooking, heating and cooling systems, and chemical reactions. They are also crucial in industrial processes like power generation, materials processing, and environmental control.