Heat capacity in gas simulation

In summary, the average energy per particle is kT/2, and the total number of degrees of freedom is the sum of the translational and rotational degrees of freedom. To find the Cv of the system of hard spheres, you would need to determine the rotational degrees of freedom.
adriplay
I have a simulation with a bunch of particles with volume bouncing around in a box with no interaction between them, a hard-sphere gas. Initially, they all have the same momentum |p|=√(2⋅m⋅2/3⋅k⋅T) to have the average kinetic energy 3/2⋅k⋅T.

I'm asked to add a constant energy flux to the system (I solved it with a for statement that adds a little p contribution to every particle for each iteration) and to calculate the heat capacity at constant volume cv.

As cv is the partial derivative of <E> respect T I want to try plotting the average energy respect T but how I get the T value? I'm doing it right if I consider kT= <E>⋅2/3 knowing that I'm in an ideal approximation? How I could make it work for and interacting gas like Lennard-Jones?

Physics news on Phys.org
adriplay said:
I have a simulation with a bunch of particles with volume bouncing around in a box with no interaction between them, a hard-sphere gas. Initially, they all have the same momentum |p|=√(2⋅m⋅2/3⋅k⋅T) to have the average kinetic energy 3/2⋅k⋅T.

I'm asked to add a constant energy flux to the system (I solved it with a for statement that adds a little p contribution to every particle for each iteration) and to calculate the heat capacity at constant volume cv.

As cv is the partial derivative of <E> respect T I want to try plotting the average energy respect T but how I get the T value? I'm doing it right if I consider kT= <E>⋅2/3 knowing that I'm in an ideal approximation? How I could make it work for and interacting gas like Lennard-Jones?
Welcome to PF adriplay!

The average energy per degree of freedom per particle is kT/2. So the average energy per particle associated with the 3 translational degrees of freedom is 3kT/2.

Cv = kT/2 x the total number of degrees of freedom. In order to determine the Cv of the system of particles you have to determine the total number of degrees of freedom of the particles in the system.

Since the particles are hard spheres with a finite volume, how many degrees of rotational freedom would they have?

To find the temperature change, once you get the DOF and ##C_v##, use ##C_v = \frac{\Delta U}{\Delta T}## where ##\Delta U## is the energy added to the system.
AM

Likes adriplay

Related to Heat capacity in gas simulation

1. What is heat capacity in gas simulation?

Heat capacity in gas simulation refers to the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a gas by one degree. It is an important parameter in simulating the behavior of gases and determining their thermodynamic properties.

2. How is heat capacity calculated in gas simulation?

Heat capacity in gas simulation is typically calculated by measuring the change in temperature of a gas when a known amount of heat energy is added or removed. This is often done using specialized equipment such as calorimeters.

3. What factors affect the heat capacity of a gas in simulation?

The heat capacity of a gas in simulation can be affected by several factors, including the type of gas, its pressure, and its temperature. The heat capacity may also vary depending on whether the gas is at constant volume or constant pressure.

4. How does heat capacity impact gas behavior in simulation?

The heat capacity of a gas plays a crucial role in determining its behavior in simulation. It can affect how much the gas's temperature changes in response to changes in heat energy, as well as its ability to transfer heat to other objects or its surroundings.

5. Why is heat capacity important in gas simulation?

Heat capacity is important in gas simulation because it allows for a better understanding of how gases behave under different conditions. It can also help in the design and optimization of systems that involve the use of gases, such as engines or refrigeration systems.