Heat equation with non homogeneous BCs

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a change of variable, theta, and the resulting equations after the change. The individual proposing the solution has already tried interpolation and is now attempting to use the method of separation of variables to obtain the general solution. The problem lies in finding the correct form of w, as the boundary conditions are non-homogeneous. Wolfram suggests the use of Bessel functions.
jackkk_gatz
Homework Statement
$$\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial T}{\partial r})+\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial z^2}=0$$

$$\left.-k\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right\rvert_{r=R}=h[T(R,z)-T_{\infty}]$$

$$\left.k\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}\right\rvert_{z=H}+h[T(r,H)-T_{\infty}]=q_s$$

$$\left.-k\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}\right\rvert_{z=0}=0$$

$$\left.-k\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right\rvert_{r=0}=0$$

$where \ T_0 \ ,T_{\infty} \ and \ q_s \ are \ constants$
Relevant Equations
-
I did a change of variable $$\theta(r,z) = T(r,z)-T_{\infty}$$ which resulted in

$$\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial r})+\frac{\partial^2 \theta}{\partial z^2}=0$$

$$\left.-k\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial r}\right\rvert_{r=R}=h\theta$$

$$\left.k\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial z}\right\rvert_{z=H}+h\theta=q_s$$

$$\left.-k\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial z}\right\rvert_{z=0}=0$$

$$\left.-k\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial r}\right\rvert_{r=0}=0$$

After that I proposed $$\theta(r,z)=v(r,z)+w(r,z)$$ where w(r,z) should must satisfy

$$\left.-k\frac{\partial w}{\partial r}\right\rvert_{r=R}=hw(R,z)$$

$$\left.k\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}\right\rvert_{z=H}+hw(r,H)=q_s$$

$$\left.-k\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}\right\rvert_{z=0}=0$$

$$\left.-k\frac{\partial w}{\partial r}\right\rvert_{r=0}=0$$

I already tried interpolation, doesn't work. I don't know how w(r,z) should look like in order to satisfy the above equations. Is there an easier method?
In short, everything I have been trying has failed and I don't know what to do anymore, I have looked for books on PDEs, all the ones I have found deal with very simple cases, which are of no use to me. I have almost no experience solving this kind of equations to know what to do or to guess how w might look like

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just noticed I asked my question in the wrong section 💀

Have you tried obtaining the general solution by the method of separation of variables? It looks like it will work in this case but I have not solved the problem.

What is ##x=0## doing in the boundary condition ##~\left.-k\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right\rvert_{x=0}=0~##. Is it a typo?

I reported this thread and it should be moved to the Advanced Homework forum by a mentor at some point in time.

kuruman said:
Have you tried obtaining the general solution by the method of separation of variables? It looks like it will work in this case but I have not solved the problem.

What is ##x=0## doing in the boundary condition ##~\left.-k\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right\rvert_{x=0}=0~##. Is it a typo?

I reported this thread and it should be moved to the Advanced Homework forum by a mentor at some point in time.
Yes it was a typo, fixed it already. And yes I have tried to get the the general solution by the method of separation of variables, the thing is I know how to apply it but with homogeneous BC where I do some things with Sturm-Liouville. The thing is Sturm-Liouville only works with homogeneous BCs, I know a method to transform the non homogeneous BCs to homogeneous, which is the one I already wrote where I have to guess the form of w(r,z)

And thanks for helping to move my question to the right section

jackkk_gatz said:
I have tried to get the the general solution by the method of separation of variables,
Wolfram gives me Bessel functions.

1. What is the heat equation with non homogeneous boundary conditions?

The heat equation with non homogeneous boundary conditions is a mathematical model used to describe the flow of heat in a given system. It takes into account both the heat conduction within the system and the heat transfer across the boundaries of the system.

2. How is the heat equation with non homogeneous boundary conditions different from the traditional heat equation?

The traditional heat equation assumes that the boundary conditions are homogeneous, meaning that the temperature at the boundaries is constant. In contrast, the heat equation with non homogeneous boundary conditions allows for the temperature at the boundaries to vary.

3. What are some examples of non homogeneous boundary conditions in the heat equation?

Non homogeneous boundary conditions can arise in various physical systems. For example, in a heat transfer problem involving a wall, the temperature on one side of the wall may be different from the other side. This would result in non homogeneous boundary conditions for the heat equation.

4. How is the heat equation with non homogeneous boundary conditions solved?

The heat equation with non homogeneous boundary conditions can be solved using various analytical and numerical methods. One common approach is to use separation of variables, where the solution is expressed as a series of eigenfunctions. Other methods include finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods.

5. What are some practical applications of the heat equation with non homogeneous boundary conditions?

The heat equation with non homogeneous boundary conditions has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can be used to model heat transfer in various systems, including buildings, electronic devices, and chemical reactors. It is also useful for predicting and controlling temperature distributions in manufacturing processes.