Heat Exchange and Efficiency in a Fridge

In summary: If you are told T and P, you can calculate E and Q. In summary, the efficiency of a fridge is the ratio of the useful heat removed from the inside of the fridge to the total energy consumed by the machine, and this ratio is multiplied by 100 to give a percentage. The amount of time it takes to cool the water will depend on the energy consumed by the machine, and this can be calculated using the power and efficiency of the machine.
C.Orio

Homework Statement

In a 30% efficient, -16°C fridge, how much electrical energy will be used up to lower the temperature of 250 mL of 75°C water? If the fridge is rated at 150 W, how long will this process take?

Specific Heat Capacity of Water = 4200 J/Kg×K
Specific Heat Capacity of Ice = 2000 J/Kg×K
Latent Heat of Fusion for Water = 333000 J/Kg

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT
QF=mLF
Efficiency=EnergyOutput/EnergyInput × 100%
Power=Work/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the QTotal (Q1, Q2 and QF), which is -3500J, but I'm not sure what to do with that info, or even what it means in regards to the question. The wording is also quite confusing, and I'm not sure whether used up means the input or the output. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
First you should describe what "that info" is - i.e. what does "Qtotal" mean?
Do you know how much energy needs to be extracted from the water to cool it?

Note: "used up" means exactly that - the fridge uses energy to make the water colder ... where does that energy go?
(You should not be thinking in terms of "input" or "output" - that will confuse you ... just follow the flow of energy.)

I think there is something wrong with the question but I want you to wrap your head around the concepts first before discussing it. It does not actually affect how you do the problem.

Last edited:
Likes C.Orio
3500 J is way too low. That allows cooling the water by a ~3 Kelvin.

How much (electric input) power would a 100% efficient fridge need to remove 1 J of heat from the -16°C interior if the outside is at room temperature?

Likes C.Orio
Simon Bridge said:
First you should describe what "that info" is - i.e. what does "Qtotal" mean?
Do you know how much energy needs to be extracted from the water to cool it?

Note: "used up" means exactly that - the fridge uses energy to make the water colder ... where does that energy go?
(You should not be thinking in terms of "input" or "output" - that will confuse you ... just follow the flow of energy.)

I think there is something wrong with the question but I want you to wrap your head around the concepts first before discussing it. It does not actually affect how you do the problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "how much energy needs to be extracted from the water to cool it"... Would that be QTotal?
To make the water colder, energy has to be taken from it, right? So all that thermal energy that was in the water must have been taken from the water and pumped out of the fridge, by the fridge. Would this be the 70% wasted energy?

mfb said:
3500 J is way too low. That allows cooling the water by a ~3 Kelvin.

How much (electric input) power would a 100% efficient fridge need to remove 1 J of heat from the -16°C interior if the outside is at room temperature?

If the fridge was 100% efficient, then would only 1 J be needed? I'm not sure how to answer the question...

I'm not sure how exactly "efficiency" is defined here.
Do you know the Carnot efficiency? If yes, it is probably the baseline ("100%").

C.Orio said:
To make the water colder, energy has to be taken from it, right? So all that thermal energy that was in the water must have been taken from the water and pumped out of the fridge, by the fridge.
Right.
C.Orio said:
Would this be the 70% wasted energy?
No, the heat you pump out is the useful part.

mfb said:
I'm not sure how exactly "efficiency" is defined here.
Do you know the Carnot efficiency? If yes, it is probably the baseline ("100%").

Right.
No, the heat you pump out is the useful part.

I'm not familiar with the Carnot efficiency. I'm describing efficiency as per the efficiency equation - Efficiency=EnergyOutput/EnergyInput × 100%. So if the heat that's being pumped out of the fridge is useful, then that's the 30% that is used to cool off the water... This makes sense. But now where does the 70% wasted energy go? Does it escape the system through the walls of the fridge?

Both the energy taken from the electricity grid and the energy taken from the water will heat the environment in some way.

C.Orio said:

Homework Statement

In a 30% efficient, -16°C fridge, how much electrical energy will be used up to lower the temperature of 250 mL of 75°C water? If the fridge is rated at 150 W, how long will this process take?

Specific Heat Capacity of Water = 4200 J/Kg×K
Specific Heat Capacity of Ice = 2000 J/Kg×K
Latent Heat of Fusion for Water = 333000 J/Kg

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT
QF=mLF
Efficiency=EnergyOutput/EnergyInput × 100%
Power=Work/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the QTotal (Q1, Q2 and QF), which is -3500J, but I'm not sure what to do with that info, or even what it means in regards to the question. The wording is also quite confusing, and I'm not sure whether used up means the input or the output. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As others have stated, removing 3500 J from this amount of water is way too little energy to produce the temperature (and phase) change desired. You need to show your calculations.

If this refrigerator is 30% efficient, this means that for every 100 J of energy consumed by the machine, only 30 J of heat are actually removed from inside the frige.

I've found what I did wrong - I didn't put a negative sign in front of QF. Now the QTotal equals a much greater negative number, and the equations make sense. Thanks everyone for your help!

So basically you discovered a procedural flaw in the way you used the equations without understanding the physics behind them?

Just from the usual definitions of the concepts:
In a nutshell: the fridge is a machine that uses total energy E to move the heat Q from the inside to the outside.(Note: This statement defines E and Q here.)
The efficiency (as a percentage) would be e=100xQ/E so, given Q, E is given by: E=100Q/e. You are told the efficiency.
If the fridge operates with power P, then it takes T=E/P time to move that Q heat.
Notice - no hard memorizing or getting the right minus signs or subscripts etc needed.

At 100% efficiency, E=Q so T=Q/P ... in real life this won't be possible. The maximum possible efficiency is less than 100% - usually lots less. But your fridge is not assumed to be maximally efficient - and the efficiency is given - I just wanted to check your concepts. Since then you had other feedback.

Ideally you should sketch a heat-flow diagram and analyse the fridge as a heat engine. Check: does that make a difference to the description above?
(Though I suspect you have not covered "heat engines" yet.)

Still not quite right because the heat Q starts out in the water, not floating about in the fridge compartment. The fridge works to keep the temperature at the location of the thermostat at a sort-of constant Tc, but the rate that heat from the water moves into the fridge compartment depends on the rate of cooling ... which does not depend just on the power of the fridge. If the fridge has some sort of fan-convection circulating the air inside, then the rate of cooling may be reasonably well approximated by Newton's law of cooling... otherwise it will probably be slower. Much depends on the details - but this is what I was talking about when I said that I thought there was something wrong with the question. It's also what happens when you know more physics than the problem is testing for. The upshot is that E/P is likely the quickest the fridge could cool the water to it's operating temperature.

Note: I make the Carnot (= max possible) efficiency of this machine at about 12% using Th="room temp" as 20deg.
Unless we take it that the outside temp is about 90degC...
http://www.ohio.edu/people/piccard/phys202/carnot/carnot.html

Anyway: all the problem actually wants you to do is show that you understand about energy, efficiency, and power.
Just using a bunch of equations you have memorized does not show that you understand the physics but you may get away with it anyway - good luck.

1. How does a fridge keep food cold?

A fridge uses a process called heat exchange to keep food cold. This involves transferring heat from inside the fridge to the outside environment, using a refrigerant fluid and a compressor.

2. What is the efficiency of a fridge?

The efficiency of a fridge depends on several factors, such as the type of refrigerant used, the design of the fridge, and how well it is maintained. Generally, modern fridges have an efficiency rating of around 80-90%.

3. How does the size and location of a fridge affect its efficiency?

The size and location of a fridge can greatly affect its efficiency. A larger fridge requires more energy to keep its contents cold, while a fridge placed in a warm or humid environment will also require more energy to maintain the desired temperature.

4. How often should a fridge be defrosted for optimal efficiency?

It is recommended to defrost a fridge every 3-6 months, or when the ice buildup reaches 0.6 cm. This helps to maintain the efficiency of the fridge, as excessive ice buildup can hinder the heat exchange process.

5. Can the efficiency of a fridge be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a fridge can be improved by keeping it well-maintained, ensuring proper ventilation and airflow around the fridge, and choosing an energy-efficient model. It is also important to regularly clean the condenser coils and check the door seals for any leaks.