Heat exchange in active system

In summary, the water entering the tank at 50 degrees Celsius will need to be cooled by 10 degrees Celsius using a coiled copper pipe with a total length of 30 linear meters and a diameter of 20 millimeters. The water will enter the pipe at 3 liters per second.
paullom
I am trying to calculate the amount of water that would have to pass through a 200 litre tank (water inlet temp is 20degrees c) in order to cool water by 10degrees in a closed loop (in a coiled copper pipe) suspended in the tank the coil has a total length of 30 lineal m and a diametre of 20mm the water in the coil enters at 50 degrees and is traveling at approximately 3 litres per second. I am a geologist not a physician and this has me stumpt. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
It’s been a while since I did these sorts of sums but..

For the temperature in the tank to be constant the power entering must match that extracted so first work out the power in Watts (=Joules/second) entering the tank via the hot coil using:

Heat capacity of water = 4180 J/Kg/K
Temperature drop (10 K)
Mass of water per second (3kg/S)

= 4180 * 10 * 3
= 125,400 J/S
= 125 kW

So that's how much has to be removed by the cold water flow.

Quick check that the coil is big enough. Last time I did this I used this equation:

Dt = (P * Wt)/(A * C)

Where

Dt = average delta T across wall of pipe in Centigrade
C = thermal conductivity of copper = 401 W•m−1•K−1
Wt = wall thickness in meters? Assume 2mm = 0.002m ?
A = area of pipe wall in meters = Pi * 0,02 * 30 = 1.88sqm
P = Power in watts

Dt=(125*10^3 * 0.002)/(1.88 * 401)
=0.33K

So can assume no temperature drop across wall of copper pipe (unless it scales up!)

Incoming hot is 50C, require 10C drop so it leaves at 40C. Average 45C

Lets assume water temperature of the tank is maintained at 45C.

Temperature rise of cooling water is 45-20C = 25C

Flow rate required is

= 125,400/(4180 * 25)
= 1.2L/Sec

Note that it will come out colder than required until the tank is upto temperature. that might take quite awhile.

Thanks a lot for that.
It all make sense to me and is far simpler than I thought. I think I will play with the variables to see if I can improve the effeciency and size etc of the system. I am using this to try and build a ground water cooled refrigerant system.

Re the calc for the suitability of the coil length if i change the parameters at what point do you think that the temperature drop across the pipe is of any concern to the whole system?

Does the size of the tank have any bearing on any of this, or is it as I suspect that it will only vary the time it takes for the tank to reach the average water temp.

Again thanks a bunch.

1. What is heat exchange in active systems?

Heat exchange in active systems refers to the transfer of thermal energy between different components or systems that are actively involved in the exchange process. This can include systems such as heat exchangers, boilers, and refrigeration systems.

2. How does heat exchange occur in active systems?

Heat exchange in active systems occurs through various mechanisms such as conduction, convection, and radiation. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between two objects or substances. In convection, heat is transferred through the movement of fluids. In radiation, heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

3. What are the factors that affect heat exchange in active systems?

The factors that affect heat exchange in active systems include the temperature difference between the two systems, the surface area of contact, and the thermal conductivity of the materials involved. Other factors such as fluid flow rate, pressure, and heat transfer coefficients also play a role.

4. What are the applications of heat exchange in active systems?

Heat exchange in active systems is used in a wide range of applications, including heating and cooling systems, power generation, and chemical processes. It is also used in industries such as food and beverage production, pharmaceuticals, and HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) systems.

5. How is heat exchange in active systems optimized?

Heat exchange in active systems can be optimized by improving the design and efficiency of heat exchangers, using materials with high thermal conductivity, and controlling the flow rate and temperature of the fluids involved. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of the systems can help to improve heat exchange efficiency.