Heat Loss in insulated Pipework

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the heat loss in a copper pipe with insulation. The pipe has an outside radius of 17.2mm and an inside radius of 14.8mm, with 15mm of insulation. The insulation has a conductivity of 0.025 and the equation for heat loss is provided in an attached excel document. The calculated heat loss is 11.27 w/m, but the individual is questioning if this is accurate, expecting a lower figure of 8 or 9 w/m. The question is raised if the correct numbers were used and if the insulation is meant to be on the inside of the pipe.
Howlin
TL;DR Summary
how to calculate the w/m heat loss in pipework with xmm of insulation
Hi all,

I have a copper pipe which has 15mm of insulation on it. The outside radius of the pipe is 17.2mm and the inside radius is 14.8mm. The insulation will have a conductivity of 0.025.

I found an question which is meant to show an equation for the heat loss in an Insulated Cylinder or Pipe. I have attached an excel document which has this equation in it and the inputs.

When I calculate the heat loss in w/m, I get a figure if 11.27.

I am wondering is the correct, as it doesn't appear to be, I would have thought it to be lower, somewhere in the region of 8 or 9 w/m.

Can anyone tell me if it is right or where I might be going wrong?

Attachments

• Pipework Heat Loss.xlsx
    13.5 KB · Views: 227
Engineering news on Phys.org
It all depends on these two numbers that you assumed.

1580398150894.png

I notice the spread sheet has the Insulation radius smaller Pipe radius.

Are you really trying to insulate the inside of the pipe? o_O

Cheers,
Tom

What is heat loss in insulated pipework?

Heat loss in insulated pipework refers to the amount of heat that is lost from a pipe carrying hot fluids or gases due to the surrounding environment being cooler. This can occur through conduction, convection, and radiation.

Why is heat loss in insulated pipework a concern?

Heat loss in insulated pipework is a concern because it can lead to a decrease in the efficiency of the system. This means that more energy and resources are required to maintain the desired temperature, resulting in higher costs and potential environmental impacts.

How is heat loss in insulated pipework calculated?

Heat loss in insulated pipework can be calculated using various equations and formulas, taking into account factors such as pipe material, insulation material, ambient temperature, and fluid flow rate. These calculations can help determine the amount of heat loss and inform decisions on insulation design and maintenance.

What are some common methods for reducing heat loss in insulated pipework?

Some common methods for reducing heat loss in insulated pipework include using high-quality insulation materials, increasing insulation thickness, minimizing air gaps, and implementing heat tracing systems. Regular maintenance and repairs can also help prevent heat loss.

How can heat loss in insulated pipework impact the environment?

Heat loss in insulated pipework can have negative impacts on the environment, as it requires more energy to maintain the desired temperature. This can lead to increased greenhouse gas emissions and contribute to climate change. Additionally, if the heat loss is significant, it can also affect the local ecosystem and wildlife.