Heat Loss Through a Short Cylinder

In summary, a short metal cylinder with a diameter of 145 mm and height of 145 mm at a temperature of 1045 K is exposed to room air at 300 K with a heat transfer coefficient of 25 W/m².K. Using the given values for thermal conductivity, density, and specific heat, the time required for the cylinder to cool down to 600 K at its center is estimated to be approximately 4115 seconds. However, determining the total heat loss transferred is a more complex problem that may require solving partial differential equations or approximating the solution from other dimensionless graphs.
Reefy

Homework Statement

A short metal cylinder 145 mm in diameter and 145 mm high at 1045 K
is suddenly exposed (all sides exposed) to a room air temperature at
300 K with h=25 W/m².K. Assume that for the metal k=40W/m.K, den=7800 kg/m3
and Cp=c=600 J/kg.K. Estimate (a) the time required for the cylinder to
cool down to 600K at center and heat transferred.

Homework Equations

$$V = \frac {πD^2L} {4}$$

$$A_s = \frac {πD^2} {2} + πDL$$

$$Bi = \frac {hV}{kA}$$

$$\frac {T_o - T_∞}{T_i - T_∞} = e^{ \frac {htA_s} {ρVc}} $$

$$Q_conduction = -kA\frac{dT}{dr}$$

$$Q_convection = hA_exposed (T_s - T_∞)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
$$ t = \frac {ρVc}{hA_s} [ln {\frac {T_o - T_∞}{T_i - T_∞}}]$$

t ≈ 4115s

Where T = 300 K, To = 600 K, Ti = 1045 K

My main issue is determing the heat loss transferred. From my understanding, a short cylinder means that we can't assume the top and bottom areas are negligible in determining heat loss so they have to be factored in. But I can't figure out equation setup for total heat loss. I'm almost positive that heat loss is by convection AND conduction and when we combine the two, we multiply it by the time to determine the heat loss in Joules.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a transient heat conduction problem in which the temperature within the cylinder is not uniform during the transition (distributed parameter system). If you don't have any dimensionless graphs of solutions to this problem, you are going to have to solve the partial differential equations analytically, or figure out a clever way of approximating the solution from graphs for other dimensionless solutions.

1. How does heat loss through a short cylinder occur?

Heat loss through a short cylinder occurs through a process called conduction. This is when heat is transferred from a warmer object to a cooler one through direct contact.

2. What factors affect the rate of heat loss through a short cylinder?

The rate of heat loss through a short cylinder is affected by several factors, including the material of the cylinder, its surface area, the temperature difference between the cylinder and its surroundings, and the thickness of the cylinder's walls.

3. Can heat loss through a short cylinder be prevented?

While some heat loss through a short cylinder is inevitable, it can be minimized by using materials with low thermal conductivity, increasing the thickness of the cylinder's walls, and reducing the temperature difference between the cylinder and its surroundings.

4. How is heat loss through a short cylinder calculated?

The rate of heat loss through a short cylinder can be calculated using the formula Q = kAΔT/L, where Q is the amount of heat loss per unit time, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the surface area, ΔT is the temperature difference, and L is the thickness of the cylinder's walls.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying heat loss through a short cylinder?

Studying heat loss through a short cylinder has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, thermodynamics, and building insulation. It can help in designing more efficient heating and cooling systems, improving insulation materials, and understanding heat transfer in different situations.