Heat of Condensation: Solving Methanol Homework

Thank you for your understanding.In summary, the author attempted to find the heat of vaporization for methanol and then took the negative of it since the process was condensation. They were unsure if their process was correct and were unable to obtain an answer that matched the choices provided.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jFwk7CteHDISN.png

Homework Equations

Heat of condensation = -(heat of vaporization)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I tried to find the heat of vaporization. Then I to took the negative of it since the process is condensation, and energy is being released from the methanol as it condenses into a liquid. I was wondering if my process was right since I tried multiple times, unsuccessfully, to even get an answer that was in the answer choices.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1476519_10201075669555617_704917569_n.jpg?oh=06f3065e192fa4c6498edd8ecc1300a1&oe=528A7C22

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just skimmed and it looks OK to me. (a) seems to be the right answer.

Please read the forum rules. Don't post questions as images unless it is really necessary.

Thank you, and I apologize for the images I've posted. I'll refrain from posting further images but I can't do anything about the images in posts I've already posted.

What is heat of condensation?

Heat of condensation is the amount of heat released or absorbed when a substance changes from a gas to a liquid state at a constant temperature and pressure.

Why is heat of condensation important in solving methanol homework?

Heat of condensation is important in solving methanol homework because it helps determine the amount of heat that needs to be added or removed in order to achieve a phase change from gas to liquid or vice versa.

How is heat of condensation calculated?

Heat of condensation is calculated using the formula Q = m * ΔH, where Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass of the substance, and ΔH is the heat of condensation. The units for heat of condensation are usually in Joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ) per mole (mol).

What factors affect the heat of condensation for methanol?

The heat of condensation for methanol is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the purity of the methanol. Higher temperatures and pressures can result in a higher heat of condensation, while impurities in the methanol can lower the heat of condensation.

How is heat of condensation used in real-world applications?

Heat of condensation is used in various industries, such as chemical and pharmaceutical, for processes such as distillation and refrigeration. It is also important in understanding the behavior of substances in different phases and can help in the design and optimization of various processes.