Understanding Phase Diagrams: Boiling, Melting & Critical Points

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with questions and diagrams in a book containing past exam papers written by the professor. There seems to be discrepancies and confusion regarding the labeling and points in the diagrams, causing the person to consider asking for clarification and a refund.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/v/1012733_10201076259690370_236735593_n.jpg?oh=4896ca67a34d3b223b764aba8ed308ab&oe=528A1B57

Homework Equations

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Phase-diag2.svg

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure entirely what's going on here.

A) Triple point. Where the three states of matter exist in equilibrium.
B) Critical point. Where the distinction between liquid and gas ends. No more condensation or evaporation past this point. A supercritical fluid exists beyond this point.
C) Looks like a point within the solid region of the phase diagram.

These don't correspond with any answers. Boiling and melting points lie ON the 760 torr/1 atm dotted line, right? So it looks like there is no correct answer?!

ETA:

This seems to be a common "problem." Consider this follow up problem - er - what is this e to f line? Is there some convention I am missing - that there is always an implied e to f line?

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/v/576634_10201076272730696_868146875_n.jpg?oh=623c0ebd9b4868a62578d975129c85d3&oe=528A98A4

Also please consider this other problem in which there appear to be invisible points: https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/v/941858_10201076233729721_1666715440_n.jpg?oh=8f6cf59215279e3607fd06eb999ebedf&oe=528A8A74

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like there is something wrong with the book.

Right. I thought something was going over my head. Guess I'll take it up with the prof.

Is this taken from a textbook or a past exam paper? If a book, maybe the editors got the figures jumbled up?

I'm uneasy where the question asks about lower-case points a, b and c but the nearest diagram is labelled in upper-case.

NascentOxygen said:
Is this taken from a textbook or a past exam paper? If a book, maybe the editors got the figures jumbled up?

I'm uneasy where the question asks about lower-case points a, b and c but the nearest diagram is labelled in upper-case.

These are actual past exam papers written by my professor and sold in a book. The problematic questions are also from separate years. I have no clue what is going on.

I might have to ask my prof for both clarification and refund on the price of purchasing his book.

What is a phase diagram?

A phase diagram is a graph that shows the behavior of a substance as it changes between solid, liquid, and gas phases at different temperatures and pressures.

What is the significance of boiling, melting, and critical points in a phase diagram?

Boiling and melting points are important because they represent the temperatures at which a substance changes from one phase to another. The critical point is the temperature and pressure at which a substance can exist in both liquid and gas phases simultaneously.

How do you read a phase diagram?

A phase diagram typically has temperature on the x-axis and pressure on the y-axis. The lines on the graph represent the boundaries between the different phases. The points where these lines meet (boiling, melting, and critical points) are labeled on the graph.

What factors affect the shape of a phase diagram?

The shape of a phase diagram is affected by the intermolecular forces between particles, which determine the strength of the bonds holding the substance together. The strength of these forces also affects the temperature and pressure at which a substance transitions between phases.

Why is understanding phase diagrams important?

Understanding phase diagrams is important for predicting the behavior of substances under different conditions, such as in industrial processes or in the natural environment. It also helps scientists develop new materials and improve existing ones by understanding how they will behave at different temperatures and pressures.