Heat transfer coefficient and convection

In summary, the conversation discusses two parameters involved in convection heat transfer systems: r and s. The heat equation can be solved in a solid with convection occurring on some side(s) by modeling it as a Robin boundary condition with the form -kappa(dT/dn)=r(T-s). The temperature s represents the bulk fluid temperature outside the boundary layer, while r is the heat transfer coefficient that can vary depending on the intensity of the flow. It can be estimated using CFD with a turbulence model, but in many cases, experiments need to be done to develop a correlation for estimating it. Additionally, s does not change, but r increases with the intensity of the flow.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I would like to fully understand two parameters involved in convection heat transfer systems. I have read the document https://fenicsproject.org/pub/tutorial/sphinx1/._ftut1005.html, and I am interested in the parameters ##r## and ##s## in eq. 69.

As far as I understand, when one solves the heat equation in a solid and that there is convection occurring on some side(s) of the solid, then one can model this convection effect as a Robin boundary condition on the interfaces air/solid. They take the form ##-\kappa \frac{dT}{dn}=r(T-s)##.
Where ##s## seems the be the temperature of the fluid touching the surface and ##r## is the heat transfer coefficient. Is this correct?
I do not quite understand how to estimate or compute ##r##. I have seen tables on the Internet of values of heat transfer coefficient, for air and water for example, as if it has a fixed value. I would have thought that ##r## would represent something along the quantity of heat that air can remove/induce into that surface area element into which it is in contact (based on the units of ##r##). If that's the case then ##r## should not depend on the geometry of the solid, but it could depend on the relative humidity of air, for instance. Is that so?

Then in a real case, when we are blowing over a hot surface in order to cool it down, does ##r## change? If so, why? ##s## would change to near room temperature instead of being above room temperature. What about ##r##?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why you feel that s changes, since this is. simply the fluid temperature in the bulk fluid outside the boundary layer. On the other hand, the heat transfer coefficient r varies increases with the intensity of the flow, since this thins the boundary layer. If you are dealing with laminar flow, then r can be determined as a function of position along the surface and flow intensity. For turbulent flow, it can be estimated using CFD with a turbulence model. But, in many cases, experiments need to be carried out to develop a dimensionless correlation for estimating the heat transfer coefficient. For more details, see Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

Likes fluidistic
Chestermiller said:
I don't know why you feel that s changes, since this is. simply the fluid temperature in the bulk fluid outside the boundary layer. On the other hand, the heat transfer coefficient r varies increases with the intensity of the flow, since this thins the boundary layer. If you are dealing with laminar flow, then r can be determined as a function of position along the surface and flow intensity. For turbulent flow, it can be estimated using CFD with a turbulence model. But, in many cases, experiments need to be carried out to develop a dimensionless correlation for estimating the heat transfer coefficient. For more details, see Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.
I thought s would change because I thought it was equal to the temperature of the fluid touching the solid.

Thanks, I've seen the reference and it seems a nightmare to estimate ##r##. At least I now know it doesn't just depend on the fluid's properties, but also on the geometry of the solid and whether or not there is forced convection, etc.
And you were right about ##s##, it seems to be the "bulk" fluid temperature, not the temperature of the fluid that touches the solid (I had to check other references such as p. 68 of "Finite Element Analysis with Error Estimators: An Introduction to the FEM.. " by Akin to be 100% of this.)

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred between a surface and a fluid, such as air or water. It is defined as the amount of heat transferred per unit area per unit temperature difference between the surface and the fluid.

2. How is the heat transfer coefficient related to convection?

The heat transfer coefficient is a key factor in convection, as it represents the efficiency of heat transfer between a surface and a fluid. In convection, the heat transfer coefficient is influenced by factors such as the fluid's velocity, temperature, and properties, as well as the surface's geometry and thermal properties.

3. What is the difference between convective heat transfer coefficient and overall heat transfer coefficient?

The convective heat transfer coefficient only takes into account the heat transfer between a surface and a fluid, while the overall heat transfer coefficient considers all modes of heat transfer, including conduction and radiation in addition to convection. The overall heat transfer coefficient is usually higher than the convective heat transfer coefficient due to the additional heat transfer mechanisms.

4. How do you calculate the heat transfer coefficient for a specific system?

The heat transfer coefficient can be calculated using experimental data or theoretical equations. For a specific system, the heat transfer coefficient can be determined by measuring the temperature difference between the surface and the fluid, the fluid velocity, and other relevant parameters, and then plugging them into the appropriate equation.

5. How does the heat transfer coefficient affect the efficiency of heat transfer?

A higher heat transfer coefficient means a more efficient heat transfer between a surface and a fluid. This is because a higher heat transfer coefficient indicates that more heat is being transferred per unit temperature difference, resulting in a faster rate of heat transfer. Therefore, a higher heat transfer coefficient is desirable for systems that require efficient heat transfer, such as in cooling or heating applications.