Heat Transfer in Metal Tank: Time to Drop from θ2 to θ1

In summary: Try this link and a textbook about thermal physics. The best way to an answer would be to do experimental measurements. These would not be too hard if the tank is not too big and if you have a supply of water at various temperatures - and plenty of time.
Thatrandomdudeacross
I'm trying to find a heat transfer equation that includes time. Metal tank, partially filled with liquid. I need to find the time it would take for the temperature on the outside of the tank to drop from θ2 to θ1, given thickness, metal and liquid's properties, and tank dimensions

Science news on Phys.org
The most important parameters are surface area of the tank, temperature difference in and out, and heat transfer coefficient.

The heat transfer coefficient is small for well insulated walls, and large for no insulation and thin walls. It is very difficult to calculate. Typically, you would need to measure it by experiment, or to get a value from the manufacturer of the tank.

anorlunda said:
The most important parameters are surface area of the tank, temperature difference in and out, and heat transfer coefficient.

The heat transfer coefficient is small for well insulated walls, and large for no insulation and thin walls. It is very difficult to calculate. Typically, you would need to measure it by experiment, or to get a value from the manufacturer of the tank.
Thank you for the reply
The tank is not purchased; it was made in our student machine shop. Assuming I have the coefficient, how would I go on from there?

Any introductory heat transfer textbook, look for: "unsteady" or "transient" one-dimensional heat transfer; Biot number; Heisler charts.

This problem can be solved approximately or in any amount of detail as needed.

Likes Thatrandomdudeacross
gmax137 said:
Any introductory heat transfer textbook, look for: "unsteady" or "transient" one-dimensional heat transfer; Biot number; Heisler charts.

This problem can be solved approximately or in any amount of detail as needed.
Thank you!

Thatrandomdudeacross said:
Assuming I have the coefficient, how would I go on from there?
There is not really a single "coefficient" for this because the problem is very complex. You need to know the effect of convection inside the tank, conduction through the walls of the tank and convection of the air outside the tank. You should be aware of this before you look for a simple answer to your problem.
Try this link and a textbook about thermal physics. The best way to an answer would be to do experimental measurements. These would not be too hard if the tank is not too big and if you have a supply of water at various temperatures - and plenty of time.

1. How does heat transfer occur in a metal tank?

Heat transfer in a metal tank occurs through a process called conduction, where heat energy is transferred from one molecule to another within the metal material.

2. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer in a metal tank?

The rate of heat transfer in a metal tank is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the tank, the thickness and material of the tank, and the surface area of the tank.

3. How does the time to drop from θ2 to θ1 in a metal tank relate to heat transfer?

The time it takes for the temperature of a metal tank to drop from θ2 to θ1 is directly related to the rate of heat transfer. A faster rate of heat transfer will result in a shorter time for the temperature to drop.

4. What is the importance of understanding heat transfer in metal tanks?

Understanding heat transfer in metal tanks is important for various industries, such as oil and gas, where tanks are used to store and transport liquids at specific temperatures. It also helps in designing and maintaining efficient heating and cooling systems for tanks.

5. How can the rate of heat transfer in a metal tank be increased?

The rate of heat transfer in a metal tank can be increased by increasing the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the tank, using materials with higher thermal conductivity, and increasing the surface area of the tank. Additionally, using insulation can help reduce heat loss and increase the rate of heat transfer.