Heat Transfer - Viscosity questions

In summary: And why is the viscosity 10^-6? Not 10^6?10^-6 is the kinematic viscosity of air at atmospheric pressure and 300C. It's about 1/10,000 of the atmospheric viscosity, or 0.000001 of the fluid viscosity. It's about 1/10,000th the shear viscosity. 3. I see that the description mentions something about the inverse viscosity, can anyone elaborate a little about that?The inverse kinematic viscosity is the reciprocal of the kinematic viscosity. It describes the decrease in fluid velocity with an increase in pressure.
weeman203

Homework Statement

I do not need to solve this problem, see below.
EXAMPLE 7.1
Air at a pressure of 6kN/m2 and a temperature of 300C flows with a velocity of 10m/s over a flat plate 0.5m long. Estimate the cooling rate per unit width of the plate needed to maintain it at a surface temperature of 27C.

Homework Equations

Kinematic viscosity

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is about the very first/second step, I have attached pictures showing the example problem and the table A4 from the back of the book.
1. How did they decide on the temperature 437K to use in the table.
2. And why is the viscosity 10^-6? Not 10^6?
3. I see that the description mentions something about the inverse viscosity, can anyone elaborate a little about that?
4.Last question is on the 3rd image it shows the Reynolds number is ~9000, isn't that a turbulent flow, but they say its laminar? According to wikipedia laminar flow is less than 2000 correct?

Thanks for any help, I just want to understand the concepts going on. No need to solve the problem.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,287
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,793
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,466
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,336
Physics news on Phys.org
weeman203 said:

Homework Statement

I do not need to solve this problem, see below.
EXAMPLE 7.1
Air at a pressure of 6kN/m2 and a temperature of 300C flows with a velocity of 10m/s over a flat plate 0.5m long. Estimate the cooling rate per unit width of the plate needed to maintain it at a surface temperature of 27C.

Homework Equations

Kinematic viscosity

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is about the very first/second step, I have attached pictures showing the example problem and the table A4 from the back of the book.
I have no idea. Maybe they meant 200 C in the problem statement insteady of 200 C, in which case the temperature would be 473K.
2. And why is the viscosity 10^-6? Not 10^6?
Look at the heading at the top of the column. It says ##10^6\nu##. That means that each of the numbers in the table has been obtained by multiplying the actual ##\nu## value by ##10^6##
3. I see that the description mentions something about the inverse viscosity, can anyone elaborate a little about that?
It says that the kinematic viscosity of a gas is inversely proportional to the pressure. Do you know what this means mathematically? What pressure do the values in the table apply to?
4.Last question is on the 3rd image it shows the Reynolds number is ~9000, isn't that a turbulent flow, but they say its laminar? According to wikipedia laminar flow is less than 2000 correct?

The laminar-turbulent transition depends on the specific geometry. The value of 2000 corresponds to flow in a tube. The critical Re for flow over a flat plate is much larger. Why don't you research it an get back with us?

Likes weeman203
Thanks for the help!

Chestermiller said:
It says that the kinematic viscosity of a gas is inversely proportional to the pressure. Do you know what this means mathematically? What pressure do the values in the table apply to?

Well viscosity increases with an increase in pressure. Based on the equation for kinematic viscosity, kviscosity=viscosity/density, if viscosity and pressure are both increasing, shouldn't the kinematic viscosity be increasing as well?

Chestermiller said:
The laminar-turbulent transition depends on the specific geometry. The value of 2000 corresponds to flow in a tube. The critical Re for flow over a flat plate is much larger. Why don't you research it an get back with us?

OK got it, pretty simple. Re for turbulent flow over a flat plate is 10^8.

weeman203 said:
Thanks for the help!

Well viscosity increases with an increase in pressure. Based on the equation for kinematic viscosity, kviscosity=viscosity/density, if viscosity and pressure are both increasing, shouldn't the kinematic viscosity be increasing as well?
For an ideal gas (and for real gases at low pressures), viscosity is independent of pressure (see Transport Phenomena, Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Chapter 1) and density is proportional to pressure. So kinematic viscosity is inversely proportional to pressure.

Likes weeman203
In analyzing the convection heat transfer over a plate you should have the "reference temperature" to look up, or calculate, the fluid properties such as viscosity, density, and also the thermal conductivity. Here they choose the "film temperature" to be the reference, and the film temperature is defined as the arithmetic mean of fluid temperature (573K) and the contact surface temperature (isotherm at 300K).
(573K + 300K) / 2 should yield 436.5K ~ 437K just to ignore the decimal digit.

The properties need to be evaluated at an average film temperature to approximate the heat transfer coefficient. They based their calculation on the arithmetic average film temperature. It's a judgment call.

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is the internal friction or stickiness of a fluid that determines how easily it can flow.

2. How does viscosity affect heat transfer?

Viscosity affects heat transfer by influencing the rate at which heat can be transferred through a fluid. Higher viscosity fluids have a lower rate of heat transfer, while lower viscosity fluids have a higher rate of heat transfer.

3. What is the relationship between viscosity and temperature?

Viscosity and temperature have an inverse relationship. As the temperature of a fluid increases, its viscosity decreases. This means that at higher temperatures, fluids are less resistant to flow and have a higher rate of heat transfer.

4. How does the viscosity of a fluid change with pressure?

In most cases, the viscosity of a fluid decreases as pressure increases. This is because the molecules in a fluid are more tightly packed at higher pressures, reducing the amount of space for them to move and increasing their resistance to flow.

5. Can the viscosity of a fluid be changed?

Yes, the viscosity of a fluid can be changed by altering its temperature or pressure. It can also be changed by adding certain substances, such as polymers, which can increase or decrease the stickiness of the fluid.