Heat treat high chrome stainless ?

In summary, the speaker, a retired EE, is seeking guidance on heat treating an old steam turbine blade made of alloy 17-7 or 17-4. They plan to make knives out of it and have found information on the recommended heat treatment process. They are unsure if a quench is necessary and have already noticed a change in the blade's hardness after cutting it with a torch. They are also curious if they can achieve a hardness in the 50's, as claimed by knife manufacturers for 17-7 PH. The speaker provides information on the alloy's properties and suggests using an oil quench for achieving the desired hardness.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I'm a retired EE tinkering in my workshop.
Materials is not my field so I'm asking for a pointer.

I have an old steam turbine blade and suspect from researching on 'net it's alloy 17-7 or 17-4(AISI 630). It's a big one, 44inch so strength was important when originally made.
It gives orange sparks when grind on it.
Am cutting it up for my friends (retired electrician, retired carpenter and retired trucker) and myself to make squirrel skinning knives.

Would you point us in right direction for heat treat?

From what i can tell from Allegheny Ludlum datasheet we should give it four hours at 1900 F air cool then one hour at 900F to get RC hardness into 40's.
I am confused whether we need a quench.

We cut first piece with a torch which got it VERY hot and seems to have softened it considerably from its as-manufactured state.

Does anyone know if we can get hardness into 50's, as claimed by knife manufacturers for their 17-7 ?

17-7 PH - A Chromium/Nickel/Aluminum, precipitation-hardening, stainless steel. The alloy is used for high-strength applications requiring resistance to salt-water corrosion. 17-7PH offers a good compromise between Martensitic stainless steels (heat-treatable) and Austenitic (300 series) stainless steels (non heat-treatable). This is due to the high Chromium/Nickel/Aluminum content.
•Moderate edge holding
•Very good toughness
•Excellent corrosion resistance
•Rockwell Rc 54-56
http://www.knifecenter.com/knifebladematerials.html

sincerely - old jim himself

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are on the right track with your heat treatment plan. Quenching is usually necessary to achieve a hardness of 50's, and this can be done either by air or oil. The temperature of the quench should be around 150 to 250°F, depending on the alloy. For 17-7 PH, it would be best to use an oil quench. You may want to consult a professional heat treating service to ensure that you get the desired hardness. Good luck with your project!

1. What is "heat treat high chrome stainless"?

"Heat treat high chrome stainless" refers to a type of stainless steel that contains a high percentage of chromium, typically between 12-30%. This makes the steel more resistant to corrosion and gives it a shiny, reflective appearance.

2. How is "heat treat high chrome stainless" different from other types of stainless steel?

The high percentage of chromium in "heat treat high chrome stainless" sets it apart from other types of stainless steel. This makes it more resistant to corrosion, heat, and wear, making it ideal for use in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and medical.

3. What is the purpose of heat treating high chrome stainless steel?

The purpose of heat treating high chrome stainless steel is to improve its mechanical properties, such as hardness, strength, and ductility. This is achieved by subjecting the steel to high temperatures and then rapidly cooling it, a process known as quenching.

4. Can "heat treat high chrome stainless" be welded?

Yes, "heat treat high chrome stainless" can be welded. However, it is important to follow proper welding procedures and use the appropriate filler material to avoid damaging the steel's properties. Additionally, post-weld heat treatment may be necessary to restore the steel's mechanical properties.

5. What are some common applications of "heat treat high chrome stainless"?

"Heat treat high chrome stainless" is commonly used in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and medical, for its corrosion resistance and high strength. It is also used for manufacturing tools, surgical instruments, and industrial equipment that require resistance to wear and high temperatures.