Heat up water with low temperature steam

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of heating up water from 50 °C to 100 °C using saturated steam of 30 °C and whether this steam would feel hot or cold when touched. The discussion also mentions the use of steam tables and the role of temperature difference and condensing heat in transferring heat. It is concluded that the steam would superheat to 37 °C if the hand is at 37 °C and that the pressure of saturated water at 30 °C is very low. However, the condensing heat is still high and could be used to heat up a hand at a lower temperature.
katchum

Homework Statement

- Is it possible to heat up water from 50 °C to 100 °C with saturated steam of 30 °C?
- If my hand is at 37 °C, is this 30 °C steam hot or cold when I touch it?

Homework Equations

Steam tables.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused here because there are two ways to see it.

Condensing of steam transfers heat. But temperature difference also transfers heat.
But I'm guessing that the statement is not possible. I think the steam would just stay steam and not form condensate because it would have to release heat to my hand. That wouldn't be possible if my hand is hotter than the steam?

Edit: oh wait, I just realized something. When my hand is at 37 °C, I would just superheat the steam to 37 °C... or my hand would cool off to 30 °C and suddenly when my hand would become 29 °C because of the surrounding cold air I would feel a surge of hot warmth to my hand and it will be kept at 30 °C.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider what pressure water is at when it is saturated at a temperature of 30 C. Can you find that pressure from the steam tables? It should be ~4.25 kPa (absolute pressure).

oh wait, I just realized something. When my hand is at 37 °C, I would just superheat the steam to 37 °C... or my hand would cool off to 30 °C
Right. If the steam really is saturated at 30 C, the pressure is very low and your hand at 37 C would cool while the steam would superheat.

I didn't search up this pressure.

So it's 0.04 bara, I have a feeling that it's very low. At our plant we have vacuum at 0.2 bara. So basically we would strip out all energy of the water so there is less energy in that steam of 30 °C.

BUT!: The condensing heat is still very high! So if my hand was at 10 degrees, we wouldn't need much steam to heat up my hand.

Last edited:

1. How does low temperature steam heat up water?

Low temperature steam heats up water through the process of condensation. When the steam comes into contact with the colder water, it releases its latent heat, causing the steam to condense into liquid water and transfer its heat energy to the water.

2. What is the ideal temperature for low temperature steam to heat up water?

The ideal temperature for low temperature steam to heat up water is around 100-120 degrees Celsius. This temperature range allows for efficient heat transfer without causing the water to boil.

3. Can low temperature steam be used to heat large quantities of water?

Yes, low temperature steam can be used to heat large quantities of water. However, the process may take longer compared to using high temperature steam or other methods of heating.

4. Are there any advantages to using low temperature steam to heat up water?

One advantage of using low temperature steam is that it is a more energy-efficient method compared to using high temperature steam or other heating methods. Additionally, it is a safer option as it reduces the risk of burns or scalding.

5. What are some potential applications for heating water with low temperature steam?

Heating water with low temperature steam can be used in various industries such as food and beverage production, textile manufacturing, and in heating systems for buildings. It can also be used for domestic purposes such as heating water for showers or household chores.