Heating a tungsten filament to find out the maximum brightness emitted

In summary, the lecture on Quantum Physics included an example of the electric bulb, where the colour and brightness of light depend on the temperature of the filament. At certain temperatures, the colour of the light will stop turning bluer, but the brightness continues to increase. The maximum brightness a filament can achieve before turning into liquid or plasma is limited by practical factors, such as cooling, mechanical strength, and power availability. Additionally, materials other than metals, such as bamboo, were also considered by Thomas Edison's lab in their search for a longer-lasting filament.
Slimy0233
TL;DR Summary
If we heat the filament of a light bulb sufficiently and hold it in a confined place by placing restrictions using magnetic fields, how bright can the light get?
I was taking notes from a lecture on Quantum Physics and during the introduction, they gave an example of what led to the discovery of Quantum Physics: The electric bulb example where the brightness and colour of light depended on the temperature of the filament(see: https://www.britannica.com/science/Stefan-Boltzmann-law). At certain temperatures, the colour of the light emitted will cease to turn any bluer(at Yellow White), but what happens to the brightness? What is the maximum brightness a filament can achieve before turning into liquid or plasma and after turning into liquid (if we find some way to hold it together and heat it).
PS: I realize that the theoretical limit is quite large, so large in fact, that it would only stop when it creates a black hole, but I am concerned about the practical limit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You need to include time in your model, and accept that the filament structure will be lost once the lamp is operating. As the filament temperature becomes greater, the hot metal filament evaporates faster, until it becomes a metal plasma discharge lamp. Radiation from the metal plasma will contain characteristic lines at wavelengths determined by the ionized metal used to fabricate the filament. Alloys melt at lower temperatures than their pure metal elements.

The pressure inside the envelope will increase rapidly until the envelope fails. At some point, the glass envelope will melt if it has not shattered due to the thermal shock earlier.

Slimy0233 said:
PS: I realize that the theoretical limit is quite large, so large in fact, that it would only stop when it creates a black hole, but I am concerned about the practical limit.
Black holes are massive objects, while a hot star is a more diffuse object. Our Sun contains many metals in its plasma. You can answer your own question by asking a similar question: What is the brightest and hottest type of star that has not yet evaporated into the surrounding space?

• Informative
Likes Slimy0233 and scottdave
This is kind of an engineering question. How will you contain or control a tungsten plasma with a huge amount of current flowing. Back in the day, I worked on very high power Ion lasers; that Ar plasma inside the laser tube* was really bright!! The limits for us were practical: cooling, mechanical strength, power available, magnetic containment field strength, etc. I suppose if we were scientists and not equipment manufacturers we could have made it brighter, but that wouldn't have suited our needs. Often this sort of thing is ultimately limited by how hard you'll try, who will pay for it, etc.

* About 50KW discharge in a <1cm dia. x 1m long arc for our big laser.

• Informative
Likes Slimy0233
Slimy0233 said:
TL;DR Summary: If we heat the filament of a light bulb sufficiently and hold it in a confined place by placing restrictions using magnetic fields, how bright can the light get?

At certain temperatures, the colour of the light emitted will cease to turn any bluer(at Yellow White), but what happens to the brightness? What is the maximum brightness a filament can achieve before turning into liquid or plasma and after turning into liquid (if we find some way to hold it together and heat it).
Thomas Edison's lab investigated for years different materials that would not burn out the filament so fast. Not all of them were metals. Bamboo was the leader for a long time.

Evaporation was not the only failure mode. Embrittlement, differential expansion, and corrosion were also factors.

• Informative
Likes Slimy0233
DaveE said:
This is kind of an engineering question. How will you contain or control a tungsten plasma with a huge amount of current flowing. Back in the day, I worked on very high power Ion lasers; that Ar plasma inside the laser tube* was really bright!! The limits for us were practical: cooling, mechanical strength, power available, magnetic containment field strength, etc. I suppose if we were scientists and not equipment manufacturers we could have made it brighter, but that wouldn't have suited our needs. Often this sort of thing is ultimately limited by how hard you'll try, who will pay for it, etc.

Oops! I missed the part about BEFORE it melts.

nevermind-rosananadana.gif

It's a much more interesting question your way. IDK.

anorlunda said:
Thomas Edison's lab investigated for years different materials that would not burn out the filament so fast. Not all of them were metals. Bamboo was the leader for a long time.

Evaporation was not the only failure mode. Embrittlement, differential expansion, and corrosion were also factors.
> Bamboo was the leader for a long time
Damn! that's some interesting fact!

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

You need to include time in your model, and accept that the filament structure will be lost once the lamp is operating. As the filament temperature becomes greater, the hot metal filament evaporates faster, until it becomes a metal plasma discharge lamp. Radiation from the metal plasma will contain characteristic lines at wavelengths determined by the ionized metal used to fabricate the filament. Alloys melt at lower temperatures than their pure metal elements.

The pressure inside the envelope will increase rapidly until the envelope fails. At some point, the glass envelope will melt if it has not shattered due to the thermal shock earlier.Black holes are massive objects, while a hot star is a more diffuse object. Our Sun contains many metals in its plasma. You can answer your own question by asking a similar question: What is the brightest and hottest type of star that has not yet evaporated into the surrounding space?
thank you for your answer.
Can you elaborate on "hot star is a more diffuse object" and also, black holes are indeed normally massive, but we can create black holes which aren't massive too, so I don't understand your point. If the energy density becomes high enough it will form a black hole, right?

Ok, trying to understand the diffuse object point, if the energy density becomes high enough, will it even be able to diffuse before forming a black holes? God, I think I am not knowledgable enough to understand your well-made point. I will ask chatgpt lol ;)

DaveE said:

So again, I guess, the limits are practical as you said, and I think it hasn't been found out before. Thanks! I just wanted to write it in my notes and I was having this question and I didn't know what to write.

Slimy0233 said:
If the energy density becomes high enough it will form a black hole, right?
No.
You and the classical physics experiment would be destroyed before any BH became involved.

The release of energy causes the filament and the supports to expand explosively. That is more like a bright star that radiates and rapidly evaporates, to become a plasma in space.

TL;DR Summary: If we heat the filament of a light bulb sufficiently and hold it in a confined place by placing restrictions using magnetic fields, how bright can the light get?
Slimy0233 said:
At certain temperatures, the colour of the light emitted will cease to turn any bluer(at Yellow White), but what happens to the brightness?
This is essentially blackbody radiation. The answer to you spectral density questions are well described in literature. Brightness may need more definition, like, over which wavelength(s). But again it's well described. In any case hotter equals brighter if you are measuring over a wide bandwidth, So, your question about maximum brightness before it melts is synonymous with the question about maximum temperature before it melts. This is a materials science question that is well above my ability. Frankly, I'm not even sure what the "melting" phase transition really means at the atomic level.

Of course, in the engineering world, you'll want to work well above, or below, that phase transition. How you hold a solid filament is much different than liquids or plasma. You can also get more radiation by increasing the amount of hot Tungsten in the filament. But, again, there are questions about what exactly you mean by "brightness".

BTW, I've never heard of an application that used high brightness incandescent liquids. Has anyone else? It seems to me you'd want to jump right up to a plasma discharge.

PS: things like dye lasers don't count. I mean excitation by electrical discharge.

1. How is the maximum brightness of a tungsten filament determined?

The maximum brightness of a tungsten filament is determined by heating it to a high temperature and measuring the amount of light it emits. This is typically done in a controlled environment, such as a vacuum, to eliminate any external factors that may affect the results.

2. Why is tungsten used in filament bulbs?

Tungsten is used in filament bulbs because it has a high melting point and is able to withstand the high temperatures needed to produce light. It also has a low vapor pressure, which means it does not evaporate easily and can last longer in a bulb.

3. What is the maximum temperature a tungsten filament can reach?

The maximum temperature a tungsten filament can reach is around 3,695 degrees Celsius (6,663 degrees Fahrenheit). At this temperature, the filament will emit the maximum amount of light and reach its maximum brightness.

4. How does the brightness of a tungsten filament change with temperature?

The brightness of a tungsten filament increases as the temperature increases. This is because as the temperature rises, the atoms in the filament vibrate more and emit more light. However, there is a limit to how bright the filament can get, as it will eventually reach its maximum brightness at a certain temperature.

5. What factors can affect the maximum brightness of a tungsten filament?

The maximum brightness of a tungsten filament can be affected by several factors, including the purity of the tungsten used, the shape and size of the filament, and the amount of current passing through it. Other external factors such as the surrounding temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the filament's maximum brightness.