Heating up water versus water with an iron brick

In summary: I know it's simple, because it's not even high school level, it's from middle school task book, but I really don't see why the answer is the way it is.So, here we go:Two identical burners heat beakers, the first of which contains 400g of water, the second 200g of water and a 200g of cast iron. In which of these beakers will water reach the boiling point first?There is also a drawing which I will attach but I don't think it's important. So, the answer is that it will reach the boiling point in both beakers simultaneously. And I don't see why. Specific heat of iron is almost 10 times lower than that of
weirdoguy
Hi guys, girls, and non-binaries. I'm a private high school teacher and I'm preparing myself to prepare others for polish physics olimpiad. So I delved into books which have a lot of tricky questions and from time to time I stumble upon one I have trouble with. And that's exactly what happened today. And since I lack self-confidence today, I needed to ask you all
wacky.png
I know it's simple, because it's not even high school level, it's from middle school task book, but I really don't see why the answer is the way it is.

So, here we go:
Two identical burners heat beakers, the first of which contains 400g of water, the second 200g of water and a 200g of cast iron. In which of these beakers will water reach the boiling point first?

There is also a drawing which I will attach but I don't think it's important. So, the answer is that it will reach the boiling point in both beakers simultaneously. And I don't see why. Specific heat of iron is almost 10 times lower than that of water so it needs less energy to heat up to 100 degrees. So overall I would say that beaker with water and iron will need less energy and (assuming both burners have the same power) it will reach the boiling point faster. What in the world am I missing?

Attachments

• processed.jpeg
    processed.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2, etotheipi and vanhees71
Science news on Phys.org
Their answer is wrong. You're not missing anything.

Likes etotheipi, vanhees71 and weirdoguy
Thank you!

Are you sure you read/translated the question correctly? If the first beaker contains 400 ml water, and the second contains 200 ml water plus 200 ml iron, then the times will be close. The volumetric heat capacity of iron and water are similar.

Likes weirdoguy
gmax137 said:
Are you sure you read/translated the question correctly?

Yes, you can see grams (g) in the photo. But good to know about the volumetric heat capacity.

One can also see that the volume in the beaker on the right is about half the volume in the beaker on the left, just as it should be if grams are meant.

weirdoguy said:
What in the world am I missing?
A few years ago I taught an MCAT physics prep class. This is the test you take in the USA to gain entrance into medical school, and it contains a section on physics. I was astonished at the poorly-worded questions and wrong answers in the book we used that claimed to contain actual MCAT test questions.

I taught the class three years in a row. After learning my lesson from the first year of teaching it, I avoided those confusing questions the next two years. It was the best paying teaching gig I ever had. Our federal tax dollars at work!

Likes weirdoguy
Mister T said:
I was astonished at the poorly-worded questions and wrong answers in the book we used that claimed to contain actual MCAT test questions.

I know how task books look like in general, I've been teaching physics for 12 years (I started when I was in high school) and I've been through a lot of them and usually I'm quite certain that the wrong answer is wrong. But there are areas where I don't feel that much confident. And those pesky, tricky little questions from thermodynamics are part of those areas. Since I also stay in touch with more advanced parts of physics (QFT, mathematical physics) and devote a lot of my time to them, I have less time to get through all of my high school books.

1. What is the difference between heating up water and water with an iron brick?

Heating up water involves applying heat energy to the water, increasing its temperature. Water with an iron brick refers to placing a heated iron brick into the water, transferring its heat energy to the water.

2. Which method is more efficient in heating the water?

Heating up water is more efficient as it directly applies heat energy to the water, whereas using an iron brick involves an extra step of transferring heat energy from the brick to the water.

3. How does the temperature change in water when using an iron brick?

The temperature of the water will increase as heat energy is transferred from the iron brick to the water. However, it may not reach the same temperature as directly heating up the water due to energy loss during the transfer process.

4. Can using an iron brick be harmful to the water?

As long as the iron brick is clean and does not contain any harmful substances, it should not be harmful to the water. However, if the brick is dirty or rusty, it may contaminate the water.

5. Is there a limit to how much water can be heated using an iron brick?

The amount of water that can be heated using an iron brick will depend on the size and temperature of the brick, as well as the starting temperature and volume of the water. Generally, larger and hotter bricks will be able to heat up more water, but there will be a limit to how much heat energy can be transferred before the brick cools down.