Heavier hydrogen-like bound states?

In summary, the author is saying that it is impossible to create the state mentioned in the question, because it would require a top quark with a very short life span, and that even if such a state could theoretically exist, it would be unstable and unlikely to last long.
Ian Mitchell
Before I begin, I would like to say what I am about to ask would require some sort of top-top-bottom bound state for it to function. Which (to my knowledge) has not been experimentally or theoretically predicted. Also, in case if you are wondering- no, this is not a homework question.
---
So, if we know that hydrogen exists, could we also hypothetically observe some sort of hydrogen-like state where there would be second generation quarks (charm and strange) or third generation quarks (top and bottom/truth and beauty) bound in a proton like state; with a muon or tau-lepton acting like an electron?*

* Yes, I am aware of positronium bound states and exotic atoms (Introduction to Elementary Particles, Griffiths, page 169).

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Baryon states involving second and third generation quarks decay very fast.

Likes Ian Mitchell
Well, we couldn’t store it, but for very short times these systems could exist. ccc, ccs and sss can only decay via the weak interaction, that makes their lifetime long enough to bind a muon (or antimuon for sss) via the electromagnetic interaction. css would be neutral.

Top quarks decay too fast to form hadrons, but bbb with an anti-tau might be possible.

There is just no realistic way to produce any of these things.

I'm with mfb. I figured the question of whether or not you have an atom is how many orbits you have before decay, and it seems to be nearly a billion. So I would call it an atom.

It sounds to me that the OP wants to create large quantities and/or stable matter. My response should be read in that light.

Furthermore, the ttb state mentioned in the OP does not exist in a meaningful way due to the top lifetime.

Also taking into account to that that the OP wanted the state to include a mu or tau instead of an electron and you have serious production issues even if such a state could theoretically exist.

1. What are heavier hydrogen-like bound states?

Heavier hydrogen-like bound states are atoms that have a nucleus with a greater number of protons and/or neutrons than a regular hydrogen atom. They still have the same electronic structure as hydrogen, with one electron orbiting the nucleus.

2. How are heavier hydrogen-like bound states formed?

These bound states are formed through the combination of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. When a nucleus has more than one proton, it is considered a heavier hydrogen-like bound state.

3. What is the significance of studying heavier hydrogen-like bound states?

Studying these bound states can provide insights into the behavior and properties of atoms with larger nuclei. It can also help us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the structure of matter.

4. Can heavier hydrogen-like bound states exist in nature?

Yes, heavier hydrogen-like bound states can exist in nature. For example, deuterium and tritium are two isotopes of hydrogen that have one and two neutrons in the nucleus, respectively.

5. What are some applications of heavier hydrogen-like bound states?

One application is in nuclear reactors, where deuterium and tritium are used as fuel for fusion reactions. These bound states are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), which relies on the decay of heavier hydrogen-like bound states.