Heisenberg Microscope: Exploring Single Photon Diffraction

In summary, the thought experiment proposed by Heisenberg suggests that a single photon cannot create a diffraction pattern on its own. However, a succession of many single photons can create a diffraction pattern. The diffraction pattern in this case represents the probability of the single photon hitting the screen at a given place, and the uncertainty of the position of the electron is due to the randomness of the photon's detection. This concept marks a "revolutionary" change in the understanding of diffraction patterns between classical electromagnetism and quantum electrodynamics.
Axel Togawa
TL;DR Summary
diffraction pattern generated in the thought experiment of Heisenberg
In the thought experiment proposed by Heisenberg, a single photon is scattered by the electron that we want to observe, and entering the microscope lens (the photon), it will create a diffraction pattern that gives the uncertainty on the position according to the law of optics. I wanted to ask how the single photon could create a diffraction figure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Axel Togawa said:
I wanted to ask how the single photon could create a diffraction figure?
It can't, not if you're considering a single photon.

Threads like this are the reason Physics Forums generally encourages people to include the sources that they've using. Without knowing that, we have no way of knowing whether you've misunderstood the explanation or the explanation was bad. So if you could tell us more about your starting point, you'll get more and more helpful answers.

Likes Axel Togawa
Yeah, sorry you are right. Anyway i found it on these sites:

http://www.bio-physics.at/wiki/index.php?title=Heisenberg's_Microscope
https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshe...eory/Electrons_in_Atoms/Uncertainty_Principle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle#Heisenberg's_microscope

maybe i misunderstood the explanations, but i wanted to ask because in my physics lecture the use of only photon was specified to influence as little as possible the electron

A single photon will not create a diffraction pattern. Your links don't say that either.

A succession of many single photons can create a diffraction pattern.

• Informative
Likes Axel Togawa
Ok thank you fro the answer

You can well argue with a single photon. It's only the meaning of the diffraction pattern which changes in a "revolutionary way". The diffraction pattern is of course a "wave phenomenon", i.e., it occurs when using classical em. waves or many single photons.

The important "revolutionary" change between classical electromagnetism and quantum electrodynamics is the meaning of this diffraction pattern when considering the case of a single photon: According to the Born rule of quantum theory the diffraction pattern depicts the probability of the single photon to hit the screen at a given place. The uncertainty of the position of the electron using a single photon is due to the randomness of the position where this photon is detected, i.e., you cannot trace back in a one-to-one connection the position of the electron which scattered the photon from the place where the photon was detected.

What is the Heisenberg Microscope?

The Heisenberg Microscope is a theoretical device proposed by Werner Heisenberg in 1927 to study the behavior of single photons. It is designed to measure the position and momentum of a photon simultaneously, which is not possible with traditional microscopes.

How does the Heisenberg Microscope work?

The Heisenberg Microscope uses a diffraction grating to split a single photon into two paths. One path measures the position of the photon, while the other measures its momentum. The results of these measurements are then used to calculate the uncertainty in both the position and momentum of the photon.

What is single photon diffraction?

Single photon diffraction is a phenomenon in which a single photon is split into two paths, creating an interference pattern when the paths are recombined. This effect is used in the Heisenberg Microscope to study the behavior of single photons.

Why is the Heisenberg Microscope important?

The Heisenberg Microscope is important because it demonstrates the uncertainty principle, a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also provides a way to study the behavior of single photons, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of light and other quantum particles.

What are the potential applications of the Heisenberg Microscope?

The Heisenberg Microscope has potential applications in various fields, such as quantum computing, cryptography, and high-precision measurements. It could also help in studying the fundamental properties of light and other quantum particles, leading to advancements in our understanding of the quantum world.