Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal with regards to electron orbits

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electron orbit and how it is impossible to calculate due to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. The equation for the principle is shown and it is explained that to have a well-defined orbit, the position and momentum of the electron must both have small uncertainties, which is not possible according to the principle. The possibility of using numbers to further understand this concept is also mentioned.
ajassat
Hello all,

I have gathered that the orbit of an electron cannot be calculated due to the uncertainty principal which states that position becomes uncertain when momentum is measured and vice versa.

From this I understand that an orbit is not possible for an electron, hence the term 'orbital'.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/c/f/f/cff3dc2c74938c84a826f7f0fa6644aa.png

If the above is the equation for the Heisenberg Uncertainty principal, how would I use it in order to show that an electron orbit is impossible?

Thanks in advance
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
in order to have a well defined orbit you need to have [itex]\Delta x[/itex] much less than the size of the atom (the position of the electron in its "orbit", x) *and* you need to have [itex]\Delta p[/itex] much less than the momentum of the electron in its "orbit", p. These to requirements are incompatable because of the uncertainty principle. I.e., if I force [itex]\Delta x[/itex] to be much smaller than x then I find that [itex]\Delta p[/itex] is much *larger* (not much smaller) than p.

Last edited:
Thanks for this reply. It has made things a lot clearer. Is there any chance of using numbers too so I can really get a grip on it?

Related to Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal with regards to electron orbits

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental law of quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle, such as an electron, at the same time. This means that the more precisely we know the position of the electron, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle apply to electron orbits?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applies to electron orbits by stating that we cannot know the exact position and momentum of an electron in an orbit simultaneously. This means that we cannot predict the exact path an electron will take around the nucleus, only the probability of finding it in a certain location.

3. Does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle apply to all particles in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applies to all particles in quantum mechanics, including electrons. It is a fundamental property of the quantum world and is essential for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle affect our ability to measure the properties of electrons?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle affects our ability to measure the properties of electrons by placing a limit on how precisely we can know the position and momentum of an electron. This means that our measurements will always have a degree of uncertainty and can only give us probabilities rather than exact values.

5. Can the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle be overcome or circumvented?

No, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be overcome or circumvented. It is a consequence of the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics and is an inherent property of the subatomic world.