Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and photons

In summary: Rest mass" would imply that the photon has a rest frame - but it hasn't.In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty principle and how it relates to the momentum and speed of a massless particle, specifically a photon. The idea of a "rest mass" for photons is also brought up, but it is clarified that this concept is no longer used in modern physics. It is also stated that the concept of "relativistic mass" is abandoned and only invariant mass is used to describe mass.
Comscistudent
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is common knowledge or a silly question, I'm just coming back to physics and I've been looking through the double slit experiments ( both double slit and delayed choice quantum eraser ) and it got me thinking about the uncertainty principle.

With a photon of light in either version if we know through which slit the photon passes does that not mean that the momentum at that point must be unknown?

Since a photon is a massless particle ( I think ) that implies that the speed of the photon must not be exactly C. Since C is the absolute limit the photon at that point must have the ability to be moving slower than C. Is that even possible? The opposite is also true, that the mass could have changed but if the photon has mass it again cannot be traveling at C.

I assume I've missed something basic here so please correct me.

Physics news on Phys.org
That helps a lot thanks!

It's not an uncertainty in the speed, but an uncertainty in the direction of travel.

Likes bhobba
Comscistudent said:
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is common knowledge or a silly question, I'm just coming back to physics and I've been looking through the double slit experiments ( both double slit and delayed choice quantum eraser ) and it got me thinking about the uncertainty principle.

With a photon of light in either version if we know through which slit the photon passes does that not mean that the momentum at that point must be unknown?

Since a photon is a massless particle ( I think ) that implies that the speed of the photon must not be exactly C. Since C is the absolute limit the photon at that point must have the ability to be moving slower than C. Is that even possible? The opposite is also true, that the mass could have changed but if the photon has mass it again cannot be traveling at C.

I assume I've missed something basic here so please correct me.
Although photon "particles" do not have a mass, they do have what's called a "rest mass"- that means if you take the energy of a photon and translate it to what it WOULD be if it had mass, you would come up with a number (remember Einsteins equation relating mass and energy). This number actually does have "mass-like", effects, because photons actually have a momentum which you can then calculate through the famous p=mv equation. If you shoot out enough photons in one direction, you could even accelerate a rocket into space or knock a person down. Granted, it would take a lot of photons to do that, but theoretically it would be possible.

Last edited:
Sophrosyne said:
Although photons do not have a mass, they do have what's called a "rest mass"- that means if you take the energy of a photon and translate it to what it WOULD be if it had mass, you would come up with a number (remember Einsteins equation relating mass and energy).
Photons are massless. And the concept of "rest mass," which applied to massive particles, is no longer employed (you will find many threads on the subject on PF).

"Rest mass" is very ridiculous for photons. Even if you use a (totally wrong) picture of a classical massless particle (which in fact doesn't exist in nature) it's very clear that there is no inertial reference frame, where it can be at rest. That's why the idea of a "relativistic mass" is abandoned in the modern treatment (if you call a paper of 1907 "modern"), and you only use invariant mass (a Lorentz scalar) as a concept to describe mass. What has been called "relativistic mass" is just relativistic energy (divided by ##c^2##) which is the temporal component of the Minkowski energy-momentum four-vector.

Likes bhobba

1. What is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This means that the more accurately we measure one of these properties, the less accurately we can measure the other.

2. How does Heisenberg's uncertainty principle apply to photons?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle applies to all particles, including photons. Since photons have a dual nature as both particles and waves, their position and momentum cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty.

3. What is the relationship between energy and uncertainty in Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

According to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, the more precisely we know the energy of a particle, the less precisely we can know its time of measurement. This is because energy and time are conjugate variables, meaning they are related by a mathematical relationship.

4. How does Heisenberg's uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, which assumes that all properties of a particle can be known with absolute certainty. It introduces the concept of inherent uncertainty at the quantum level, where particles can only be described by probabilities.

5. Can Heisenberg's uncertainty principle be violated?

No, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. It is a fundamental aspect of the behavior of particles at the quantum level and cannot be violated.