Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the conversation is about solving problems using the uncertainty principle, specifically finding the minimum uncertainty in velocity for an electron trapped in a small region. The individual is unsure if their answer is correct and receives guidance to use the relativistic formula p = γmv instead of the non-relativistic formula p = mv.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm solving some quite simple problems using the uncertainty principle, but I don't have access to the solutions and I really don't have a feel for what a 'sensible' answer is... When finding the minimum uncertainty in velocity, I end up with things greater than the speed of light, so I want to check I'm not making an error somewhere.

Homework Statement

Suppose that an electron is trapped in a small region and the uncertainty in it's position is [itex]10^{-15}[/itex]m. What is the minimum uncertainty in the particles momentum? What uncertainty in the electrons velocity does this correspond to?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex](\Delta y)(\Delta p_{y}) \geq \frac{h}{4 \pi}[/itex]

Since we're dealing the minimum uncertainty, we can equate the two.

[itex](\Delta p_{y}) = \frac{h}{4 \pi (\Delta y)}[/itex] = 5.27 x 10-20 kgms-1

[itex]p = mv[/itex]

[itex]\Delta p_{y} = m (\Delta v_{y})[/itex]

[itex]\Delta v_{y} = \frac{\Delta p_{y}}{m}[/itex] = 5.79 x 1010 ms-1

This answer just seems absurd, maybe it's a consequence of the accuracy we know the electrons position to, but like I said I have no way of checking what a sensible answer is.

So, have I gone wrong somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake is to use the formula p = mv which is the non-relativistic formula. Try using p = γmv, where γ = (1 - v2/c2)-1/2.

dauto said:
Your mistake is to use the formula p = mv which is the non-relativistic formula. Try using p = γmv, where γ = (1 - v2/c2)-1/2.

Aha! Thanks, I was looking at an old example from my notes but evidently it was intended to show why the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is negligible at the macroscopic level of a ping pong ball.

What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know, with absolute certainty, both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

Who discovered Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle was discovered by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

Why is the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle important?

The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is important because it fundamentally changes the way we understand and study particles at the atomic level. It also has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality.

How does the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle affect everyday life?

The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle has no direct impact on everyday life, as it only applies to particles at the atomic level. However, the technology that has been developed based on this principle, such as electron microscopes, has greatly advanced many fields, including medicine and materials science.

Is the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle a proven fact?

Yes, the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle has been extensively tested and has been found to hold true in countless experiments. It is considered a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.