Helicity conservation in scattering

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the book "Deep inelastic scattering" and the argument made in the second chapter about the possible values of J and Jz in quantum mechanics. The speaker explains that for a given value of J, there are different possible orientations of the angular momentum represented by Jz. However, in the context of deep inelastic scattering, the target is usually at rest, which means that the total angular momentum of the system must be conserved. Therefore, the book only considers the states with Jz=-1 and +1, and not Jz=0.
Josh1079
Hi,

My question basically comes from this book called "Deep inelastic scattering"

upload_2018-2-20_23-47-1.png

In the second chapter, it first made a similar argument for J = 1 Jz = -1, +1 which is pretty easy to get along with. However, immediately following from that there was this argument which confuses me a bit. I mean if Jz = 0, isn't it also possible to be in the J=1 state |1,0> ? Is there a physical argument for not considering this possibility?

Thanks!

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-20_23-47-1.png
    upload_2018-2-20_23-47-1.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 923
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question about the book "Deep inelastic scattering". I am familiar with the chapter you mentioned and I can understand your confusion. Let me try to explain it further.

In quantum mechanics, the total angular momentum of a particle can have different values, which are represented by the quantum number J. This value can range from 0 to infinity, with half-integer values for particles with spin. However, for a given value of J, there are different possible orientations of the angular momentum, represented by the quantum number Jz. For example, for J=1, there are three possible orientations: Jz=-1, 0, and +1.

Now, to answer your question, it is indeed possible for Jz to be 0 in the J=1 state. However, in the context of deep inelastic scattering, we are interested in the process of a particle interacting with a target. In this case, the target is usually at rest, which means that the total angular momentum of the system (particle + target) is conserved. This means that the initial and final states must have the same total angular momentum.

In the case of J=1, the possible initial states are Jz=-1, 0, and +1. However, if the target is at rest, the final state must also have Jz=0, as this is the only value that can be conserved. This is why the book only considers the states with Jz=-1 and +1 in this context.

I hope this helps to clarify the reasoning behind not considering the Jz=0 state in this particular case. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is helicity conservation in scattering?

Helicity conservation in scattering refers to the property of particles that have a fixed angular momentum along their direction of motion. In other words, the helicity of a particle remains unchanged during a scattering event.

2. How is helicity measured in scattering experiments?

Helicity is typically measured using polarized beams of particles, which have a known angular momentum direction. The helicity of the scattered particles can then be determined by analyzing the direction of their spin relative to the direction of their motion.

3. What are the implications of helicity conservation in particle interactions?

Helicity conservation has important implications for the laws of physics. It is a fundamental symmetry that must be maintained in all particle interactions, and violations of helicity conservation would indicate a breakdown of the underlying physical laws.

4. Are there any exceptions to helicity conservation in scattering?

There are some cases where helicity conservation may appear to be violated, such as in interactions involving the weak nuclear force. However, these apparent violations can be explained by the fact that the weak nuclear force is sensitive to the chirality (handedness) of particles, which is related to but different from helicity.

5. How does helicity conservation impact our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics?

Helicity conservation is a key aspect of the Standard Model, which is the current theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces of nature. By successfully predicting and explaining the results of scattering experiments, the Standard Model provides strong evidence for the conservation of helicity in all particle interactions.