Helium-Neon Laser: Meaning of Fast Radiative Transition

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy level diagram for a laser and the importance of a population inversion for efficient light generation. The focus is on the transition from 3s to 2p, but the question also addresses the transition from 2p to 1s and the purpose of the energy that is released in this transition. The response clarifies that this energy is not used for anything and the key factor is the speed of the transition to maintain the population inversion.
Gavroy
hi

my question has to do with this energy level diagram

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Hene-2.png"

i was wondering, what the meaning of this "fast radiative transition is"?

as far as i understood this, the light that you mainly want to get is the transition from 3s to 2p. but the energy difference between 2p and 1s seems to be fairly huge too. therefore, my question is: what is the effect of this transition?

and as always: sry about my english...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you want is a population inversion, which means more population in the upper laser level (3s) than in the lower (2p). So it is really important that the lower laser level is depopulated more quickly than the higher laser level is populated. Maybe the link is helpful.

okay, but i was not referring to this transition, but to the transition from the 2p to the 1s level, as i do not know what this energy, that gets free in this transition, is actually used for.

This energy is not used for anything, it just gets dissipated. The important feature is that the transition from 2s to wherever is fast, so the population inversion between 3s and 2p is maintained.

1. What is a Helium-Neon Laser?

A Helium-Neon laser is a type of gas laser that produces a beam of light in the red portion of the visible spectrum. It is composed of a mixture of helium and neon gases and uses a process called fast radiative transition to amplify and emit light.

2. What does "fast radiative transition" mean in relation to Helium-Neon lasers?

Fast radiative transition refers to the process in which excited helium and neon atoms in the laser medium quickly release energy in the form of photons, resulting in the emission of a coherent beam of light. This process is what makes Helium-Neon lasers highly efficient and capable of producing a stable and intense beam of light.

3. How does a Helium-Neon laser work?

A Helium-Neon laser works by passing a high-voltage electrical discharge through a mixture of helium and neon gases, causing the atoms to become excited and release photons. These photons then travel through the laser cavity, where they are amplified by the process of fast radiative transition, resulting in the emission of a coherent beam of light.

4. What are the applications of Helium-Neon lasers?

Helium-Neon lasers have a wide range of applications, including laser printing, barcode scanners, laser pointers, and laser leveling devices. They are also commonly used in scientific and medical equipment, such as spectroscopy instruments and laser surgery tools.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using Helium-Neon lasers?

One of the main disadvantages of Helium-Neon lasers is their limited output power compared to other types of lasers. They also require high-voltage electrical discharges to operate, making them more complex and expensive. Additionally, the gases used in Helium-Neon lasers can be hazardous if not handled properly.