Help calculating the uncertainty in the Sun's rotational speed

In summary, this person is trying to calculate the rotational speed of the sun for different latitudes but is having trouble with the error calculation. They have attached an example of how to do the calculation using calculus.
koots
Homework Statement
Help calculating uncertainty when the equation includes sin functions
Relevant Equations
omega = A + Bsin^2(phi) + Csin^4(phi)
Hi everyone,

The equation is one we have been given to calculate the rotational speed of the sun for different latitudes. phi = average latitude. This shouldn't be a problem for me, but for some reason I just can't trust my error calcs.

We are given :
A = 14.713 ± 0.0491◦/d B = −2.396 ± 0.188◦/d C = −1.787 ± 0.253◦/d
and the latitudes I'm using have been taken from sunspot photos with a stonyhurst grid overlaid. They are:
31, 15, 5.5, 1.5, all with an uncertainty +/- 2.

I've so far used trigonometric identites, calculus, even calculating min and max values and halving the difference etc. My problem is that I end up with errors larger, and for the lower latitudes far larger than the result from the equation. Every method gives a slightly different result and I just can't carry on comfortably.

Could anyone suggest which method they would use for the above equation?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
koots said:
errors larger, and for the lower latitudes far larger than the result from the equation
I do not understand what you are saying there. Your wording implies the equation is for calculating an error, but you are calculating what should be the same error value by some other means and getting a much larger number.

It might help if you were to post details of an attempt (as forum rules require anyway) and show exactly what discrepancy you are seeing.

Remember, very few reading your post will have experience in this exact topic but many may be well able to assist if you explain clearly.

Thanks haruspex.

The equation is for calculating the rotational speed of the sun. We are not given a method of calculating the error in the result. I did write up an example on my lunchbreak at work to post here when I got home after realising there were rules, but I can't for the life of me find it now.

I've since found a silly mistake I made using the calculus method earlier of taking the partial derivatives multiplied by the change in the variable, squaring, adding, and taking the square root and now it works out much nicer but I'm still not entirely sold on it. A quick run through the method is attached.

The reason I'm not sold on it is because as my latitude decreases, the uncertainty in that measurement increases as all measurements were +/- 2 degrees, however in the final answers the uncertainty becomes less at lower latitude values.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
calculusuncertainty.jpg

Looks good to me.
The reason the errors in latitude matter less at low latitudes is that ##\sin(\phi)## becomes very small.

Thanks mate. Much appreciated. Makes perfect sense, I just had my guts telling me it was my fault..

Cheers

1. How is the Sun's rotational speed measured?

The Sun's rotational speed is measured using the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency of light due to the object's motion. Scientists use telescopes to measure the Doppler shift of light coming from different parts of the Sun's surface, allowing them to calculate the rotational speed.

2. What is the average rotational speed of the Sun?

The average rotational speed of the Sun is approximately 2 kilometers per second at the equator. However, the rotational speed varies with latitude, with higher latitudes having a slower rotational speed.

3. What factors can affect the uncertainty in calculating the Sun's rotational speed?

There are several factors that can affect the uncertainty in calculating the Sun's rotational speed, including atmospheric conditions, instrumental errors, and the accuracy of the measurement technique. Additionally, the Sun's rotation is not constant and can vary over time, which can also contribute to uncertainty.

4. How do scientists account for uncertainty in their calculations of the Sun's rotational speed?

Scientists use statistical methods, such as error propagation and sensitivity analysis, to account for uncertainty in their calculations of the Sun's rotational speed. They also compare their results with other studies and use multiple measurement techniques to validate their findings.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate the Sun's rotational speed?

Accurately calculating the Sun's rotational speed is important for understanding the dynamics of our solar system. The Sun's rotation plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the planets, and it also affects the Sun's magnetic field and activity. Additionally, precise measurements of the Sun's rotational speed can help improve our understanding of other stars and their planetary systems.