Help Concerns about medical physics programPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:10 pm

In summary, an undergraduate student is concerned about pursuing a medical physics program due to potential long working hours, limited research opportunities, and health risks. However, a working medical physicist clarifies that while the work week may be longer, there are still opportunities for research and the health risks are greatly exaggerated. The current job market may be challenging, but those with a CAMPEP PhD degree have better prospects.
zhangyo-yo
Help!Concerns about medical physics programPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi,everyone.
I'm an undergraduate who wants to continue my study in medical physics in graduate school. I like this field because it seems to be a combination of education,research and clinical experience. You can enjoy different kinds of things on this subject. But yesterday I've met a guy who told me that it is not true since most medical physicist would have to work more than 60 hours a week and they have to be on call on weekends too. It is unrealistic and impossible for them to do something like research besides their clinical hours as they are too occupied with the latter. And he also mentioned that being medical physicsist is really harmful to the health and it is of high possibility for medical physicist to give birth to a child with retardness .He also said that today it is really difficult for a native medical physics student to find a job after graduation because this field is so saturated... I'm an international student and I think if it is the case, it will be like impossible for me to get a job...
I've been really shocked by the conversation and I'm really worried about if it is a good choice for me to get into this field. Can anyone inside the field tell me if it is really like what is described above?I'm really worried about my future...
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Zhangyo-yo,

Here's some answers from a working medical physicist.

(1) The medical physics work week. I won't lie here. I rarely go home at 17:00. On some days, that's when the real work begins. Clinically, medical physicists play a critical role in the operation of a radiotherapy facility. We're the ones who get called when there's a problem to be solved. In some facilities you can end up on call evenings and weekends. To be successful, you have to enjoy this work.

(2) If you want to do research, the opportunity is there. I wite papers, review for journals, present at conferences - all on top of clinical duties. Those who don't do it are usually those who choose not to. (And even then they can end up getting dragged into projects here and there). A lot of the opportunity is facility dependent though.

(3) Children born with "retardedness" and other adverse effects. I suggest you go and look this up. Things like loss of IQ, microcephaly (small head size), mental retardation, etc. are effects that have been studied by groups looking at the survivors and children of atomic bomb detonations. These are largely considered deterministic effects with thresholds of ~100-200 mSv received by the fetus during a particularly sensitive phase of development. Radiation protection laws exist that limit exposures to regular workers to less than this by an order of magnitude. Pregnant workers are further limited by another order of magnitude. Shielding designs further reduce exposures to well below the legal limits. Typical exposures received by medical physicists are within a standard deviation of natural background. The most dangerous part of my day is driving to work.

(4) Right now, the economy is in a rut and medical physicists are feeling the pinch too. What I've seen is that MSc graduates have a difficult time staying in the cities they want to stay in and have to go where the opportunities arise. I haven't seen too many CAMPEP PhD graduates experience problems though.

I hope that clears a few things up.

Choppy said:
Hi Zhangyo-yo,

Here's some answers from a working medical physicist.

(1) The medical physics work week. I won't lie here. I rarely go home at 17:00. On some days, that's when the real work begins. Clinically, medical physicists play a critical role in the operation of a radiotherapy facility. We're the ones who get called when there's a problem to be solved. In some facilities you can end up on call evenings and weekends. To be successful, you have to enjoy this work.

(2) If you want to do research, the opportunity is there. I wite papers, review for journals, present at conferences - all on top of clinical duties. Those who don't do it are usually those who choose not to. (And even then they can end up getting dragged into projects here and there). A lot of the opportunity is facility dependent though.

(3) Children born with "retardedness" and other adverse effects. I suggest you go and look this up. Things like loss of IQ, microcephaly (small head size), mental retardation, etc. are effects that have been studied by groups looking at the survivors and children of atomic bomb detonations. These are largely considered deterministic effects with thresholds of ~100-200 mSv received by the fetus during a particularly sensitive phase of development. Radiation protection laws exist that limit exposures to regular workers to less than this by an order of magnitude. Pregnant workers are further limited by another order of magnitude. Shielding designs further reduce exposures to well below the legal limits. Typical exposures received by medical physicists are within a standard deviation of natural background. The most dangerous part of my day is driving to work.

(4) Right now, the economy is in a rut and medical physicists are feeling the pinch too. What I've seen is that MSc graduates have a difficult time staying in the cities they want to stay in and have to go where the opportunities arise. I haven't seen too many CAMPEP PhD graduates experience problems though.

I hope that clears a few things up.

Thanks! It really helps me a lot...Kind of a relief:-)

Related to Help Concerns about medical physics programPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:10 pm

What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and methods of physics to the field of medicine. It involves the use of radiation and other forms of energy to diagnose and treat diseases, as well as ensuring the safety of patients and medical personnel.

What does a medical physicist do?

Medical physicists are responsible for the calibration, quality assurance, and safe use of medical equipment such as X-ray machines, CT scanners, and radioactive sources. They also develop and implement new technologies and techniques in the field of medical imaging and radiation therapy.

What are the educational requirements for a career in medical physics?

To become a medical physicist, one must have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and biology. This typically requires at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a graduate degree in medical physics. Many medical physicists also go on to obtain specialized certifications and licenses.

What are the job prospects for medical physicists?

The demand for medical physicists is expected to continue to grow in the coming years, due to the increasing use of medical technology and radiation therapy in healthcare. Job opportunities can be found in hospitals, research facilities, and private practices.

What are the ethical concerns surrounding medical physics?

One of the main ethical concerns in medical physics is ensuring the safety of patients and medical personnel when working with radiation and other forms of energy. This includes proper training and certification, as well as following strict protocols for equipment use and maintenance. Another concern is the use of radiation in medical procedures, which must be carefully balanced with the potential risks and benefits for the patient.