Help - Confusion acid-base equilibrium in water

In summary: This is just a simplified version of the first equation, showing only the reactants and products of the reaction. The H3O+ reacts with NH3 because NH3 is a base, and bases accept hydrogen ions. This is why H3O+ does not react with Cl- or H2O, because they are not bases and do not accept hydrogen ions.
mcfaker123
Help -- Confusion acid-base equilibrium in water

Hello,
I have been reading about the acid-base equilibrium in water. I don't understand what my book explains however. The theory may be information lacking(in my opinion). Because I've read it so many times I just decided to rewrite everything exactly from my book! I also "rewrote" 2 examples after the theory. I am also confused about what they try to accomplish in the examples. I figure they try to set up the reaction of the acid-base equilibrium in water. In the second example they marked H3O+ & OH- in red, I don't know what that means though. Then next to "simplified" they let H3O+ react with NH3. How do I know whether H3O+ reacts with NH3 or with OH-? And why is it H3O+ that reacts with NH3 and not for example Cl- that reacts with H20 or NH4+?

Im really confused with this material in my book & can't get out of it no matter what. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance!

Theory:
6wzI8.png

Example 1:

6wzNh.png

Example 2:

6wzPg.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The acid-base equilibrium in water is the balance between the acid and base molecules in aqueous solutions. Acids are molecules that donate hydrogen ions (H+) to a solution, while bases accept hydrogen ions. This process creates an equilibrium, meaning that the concentrations of both the acid and base molecules remain constant. In an aqueous solution, the equilibrium is represented by the following equation: H2O + H+ <=> H3O+ + OH- This equation states that there is an equilibrium between the water molecules (H2O) and the two ions created when they react, hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-). The equilibrium is expressed as an equilibrium constant, K_eq. Example 1: Let's say we have an aqueous solution of hydrochloric acid (HCl). HCl dissociates into H+ and Cl- ions when it is dissolved in water, so the equilibrium is represented by the following equation: H2O + HCl <=> H3O+ + Cl- Example 2: Let's say we have an aqueous solution of ammonia (NH3). NH3 dissociates into NH4+ and OH- ions when it is dissolved in water, so the equilibrium is represented by the following equation: H2O + NH3 <=> H3O+ (red) + OH- (red) Simplified: H3O+ (red) + NH3 <=> NH4+ + OH- (red) In this equation, H3O+ reacts with NH3 and forms NH4+ and OH-. The OH- is the same as the OH- from the original equation.

1. What is acid-base equilibrium in water?

Acid-base equilibrium in water refers to the balance between the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. This balance is important for maintaining a neutral pH of 7 in pure water.

2. How does acid-base equilibrium affect the pH of water?

The concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) determines the acidity of a solution, while the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-) determines the basicity. When these two concentrations are equal, the pH is neutral. If there are more H+ ions, the solution is acidic and has a lower pH. If there are more OH- ions, the solution is basic and has a higher pH.

3. What is the role of water in acid-base equilibrium?

Water is a polar molecule, meaning it has a slightly positive end (hydrogen) and a slightly negative end (oxygen). This allows it to act as a solvent and dissolve other polar molecules, including acids and bases. In acid-base equilibrium, water molecules can also act as either an acid or a base by donating or accepting hydrogen ions.

4. How do acids and bases interact in acid-base equilibrium?

Acids are substances that release hydrogen ions (H+) in water, increasing the concentration of H+. Bases are substances that release hydroxide ions (OH-) in water, increasing the concentration of OH-. In acid-base equilibrium, acids and bases can neutralize each other by reacting to form water and a salt.

5. What factors can affect acid-base equilibrium in water?

The strength of an acid or base, temperature, and the presence of other substances can all affect acid-base equilibrium in water. Strong acids and bases will more readily dissociate in water, while weak acids and bases will have a smaller effect on the equilibrium. Changes in temperature can also shift the equilibrium, as well as the presence of other ions or compounds that can react with acids or bases.