Help Design a Catapult to Hit Specific Targets

• Thread starter DeathEater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catapult
In summary, the conversation discusses designing a catapult for a physics class with specific requirements, including an adjustable launch angle, hitting specific targets within a range of 3-15 feet, and maintaining a consistent initial velocity. The person proposing a design suggests using hooks and a rubber band or bungee cord to adjust the launch distance without affecting the initial velocity. They ask for feedback and suggestions for improvement.
DeathEater

Homework Statement

For my physics class, I have to design a catapult with specific requirements. The launch angle (in reference to the ground) has to be adjustable, it has to hit specific targets within a range of 3-15 feet (the targets can only be at even distances, so only 4 ft, 6 ft, 14 ft etc.), and the initial velocity of each launch has to be the same.

Homework Equations

Before anyone asks, yes I have looked up possible designs already, but none consider initial velocity when talking about the adjustable angles. Most designs just say to have an adjustable bar to move up an down in order to change the angle it's launched from. However, the launch velocities that result from that design are varying.

The Attempt at a Solution

I proposed to have a standard catapult on a base that itself is adjustable so that the angle may change without the initial velocity changing in a drastic way. I was then going to employ a use of hooks along an arm to attach a large rubber band or bungee cord to so that the launch distance can change.

Would this design work well? what adjustments could I make to improve it, or are there better ideas you might have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw a picture with labels and explain how it might work?

1. What is a catapult?

A catapult is a type of medieval siege weapon that uses stored energy to launch projectiles at high speeds.

2. How do you design a catapult?

To design a catapult, you need to determine the desired range, accuracy, and projectile weight. Then, you can choose the type of catapult (such as a trebuchet or mangonel) and calculate the appropriate dimensions and materials needed.

3. What are the key components of a catapult?

The key components of a catapult include the frame, the throwing arm, the sling, and a trigger mechanism. The frame provides stability and support, while the throwing arm and sling work together to launch the projectile. The trigger mechanism is used to release the throwing arm at the desired moment.

4. How do you ensure that a catapult hits specific targets?

To hit specific targets, you need to adjust the angle and tension of the throwing arm, as well as the release mechanism. Additionally, you can use a targeting system, such as a sight or laser, to aim the catapult more accurately.

5. What are some safety precautions when using a catapult?

When using a catapult, it is important to follow all safety precautions to prevent injury. This includes standing at a safe distance from the catapult, wearing protective gear, and ensuring that all bystanders are also at a safe distance. It is also important to carefully handle and load the catapult to avoid accidents.