Help designing a Machine Shop Turntable- Flexure Rigidity questions

• Thread starter nezednemo
  • Start date
nezednemo
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate deflection on a center supported plate with localized downward force applied.
Good morning, I’m designing a turntable for a machine shop. The machine that rides on this platform weighs 6000 pounds and sits on (2) wood blocks (For ease of pickup with a fork lift). I’m trying to understand flexure rigidity and choose the right thickness of A36 steel plate.

I work closely with a metal supplier, so it is possible for me to get the chemistry on the plate, but I don’t know exactly what units to ask for.

The current plan is to use A36 ¼” Mild Steel diamond plate. I can increase the thickness of the plate to 5/16 or ⅜ if it significantly increases flexure rigidity.

I intend to reinforce the plate by welding flat bar around the edges (to reduce deflection) and adding ball transfer bearings around the perimeter of the rotational axis (to disperse weight transfer). A baseline of deflection of the plate without such supports will help me choose the right reinforcement strategy. My goal is to keep the plate as low as possible to the ground.

Thank you for looking over my project and let me know if there’s any way I can increase the clarity of my request.

IMG_0103.jpeg

Likes DeBangis21
Engineering news on Phys.org
What makes you believe that the location of the center of mass of that machine will be exactly aligned vertically with that central bearing.

If not, would that bearing be anchored down to a concrete slab?
If so, how much moment is rated to support?

Being a machine shop, would the machine be subjected to horizontal forces or moments in a production process?

Lnewqban said:
What makes you believe that the location of the center of mass of that machine will be exactly aligned vertically with that central bearing.

If not, would that bearing be anchored down to a concrete slab?
If so, how much moment is rated to support?

Being a machine shop, would the machine be subjected to horizontal forces or moments in a production process?
1. It will not be as the machine will have parts added during the rebuild process. I over estimated the weight on each wood block to compensate for this. The machine weight is closer to 5400lbs totally assembled.

Beneath the bearing would be another steel platform that could be picked up with a forklift.

Between the two platforms I am budgeting for (8) ball transfer bearding which are rated for 340lbs each

The reason I’m looking for deflection information is so I can calculate a good clearance between the ball transfer bearings and the top rotating plate.

There are no expected horizontal moments expected in the application of this device.

IMG_6199.jpeg

Likes Lnewqban
nezednemo said:
Between the two platforms I am budgeting for (8) ball transfer bearding which are rated for 340lbs each

The reason I’m looking for deflection information is so I can calculate a good clearance between the ball transfer bearings and the top rotating plate.

Why the diamonds?
You could get more resistance from a flat plate of equivalent total thickness.

Why the clearance for the ball bearings?
Any deformation will rotate around from one ball bearing to the next.
If too much deflection, it will transfer a moment onto the central bearing.

Could you bend the edges of the plate down?

For some reason I thought diamond plate would offer more resistance- because the extra ridges are generally above the profile of the plate. But a flat plate is totally doable.

I can’t bend the edges down (no suitable brake) but I can weld 1.5” flat bar to the outside edge.

The reason I planned to add tolerance for the ball transfer bearings was because I thought too much force on them could damage them, but I see now how the force would just transfer to the next support- so I’ll just Bring them up to touching when the plate is not under load.

Thanks for this advice.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is a machine shop turntable and what is its purpose?

A machine shop turntable is a rotating platform used in industrial settings to manipulate heavy or large workpieces easily during machining or assembly processes. Its purpose is to improve accessibility to all sides of the workpiece without the need for manual repositioning, thereby increasing efficiency and safety in the workplace.

2. What is flexure rigidity and why is it important in the design of a turntable?

Flexure rigidity refers to the ability of a material or structure to resist bending or flexing under load. In the context of a turntable, high flexure rigidity is crucial because it ensures that the platform remains stable and does not deform under the weight of heavy workpieces. This is important for maintaining precision and alignment in machining operations.

3. How do you calculate flexure rigidity for a turntable design?

To calculate flexure rigidity, you need to consider both the material properties and the geometric configuration of the turntable. The flexural rigidity (D) is calculated using the formula D = EI, where E is the modulus of elasticity of the material, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section. Accurate calculations help in choosing the right materials and design specifications to meet load-bearing and operational requirements.

4. What materials are commonly used for machine shop turntables, and how do they influence flexure rigidity?

Common materials used for machine shop turntables include steel, aluminum, and sometimes reinforced composites. Steel is favored for its high strength and durability, offering excellent flexure rigidity but at the cost of heavier weight. Aluminum is lighter, which makes it easier to handle and reduces the load on supporting structures but typically has lower flexure rigidity than steel. The choice of material will impact the overall performance, cost, and operational capacity of the turntable.

5. What are some design considerations to enhance the flexure rigidity of a turntable?

To enhance flexure rigidity, designers can increase the thickness of the material, use materials with higher modulus of elasticity, or optimize the geometric design of the turntable such as adding ribs or using a double-layered structure. Additionally, proper support and alignment mechanisms can be integrated to distribute loads more evenly and reduce the risk of deformation. Computational simulations and practical load testing are also essential to validate the design before full-scale production.