Help evaluating complex function in form m+ni?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the complex version of the sigmoid function and simplify it using Euler's formula. The participants also discuss the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the concept of differentiability in complex numbers.
NotASmurf
Hey all, I need the complex version of the sigmoid function in standard form, that is to say $$f(\alpha) =\frac{1}{1+e^{-\alpha}} , \hspace{2mm}\alpha = a+bi , \hspace{2mm} \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}$$ in the simplified form: $$f = m+ni$$ but found this challenging, for some reason i assumed there was an identity for $$e^{e^{x} }, \hspace{2mm} x \in \mathbb{C}$$, so wasted my time with
$$e^{-a-bi}= e^{e^{tan^{-1}\frac{b}{a}i + ln[\sqrt{ a^{2} + b^{2} }]}}$$ and tried from there, (just showing I did make an attempt, no matter how abysmal). Any help appreciated as I am not too familiar with complex numbers outside of the basics needed for transformation matrices.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
NotASmurf said:
so wasted my time with
e−a−bi=eetan−1bai+ln[√a2+b2]e−a−bi=eetan−1bai+ln[a2+b2]​
e^{-a-bi}= e^{e^{tan^{-1}\frac{b}{a}i + ln[\sqrt{ a^{2} + b^{2} }]}} and tried from there
No need to go that far.
Try multiplying ##f(\alpha) =\frac{1}{1+e^{-\alpha}}## with ##\frac{1+e^{-\alpha^*}}{1+e^{-\alpha^*}}## and then use Euler formula.

Likes NotASmurf
Thanks :D ,Comes to $$ \frac{1}{2cos(b) e^{-a}}[1+e^{-\overline{\alpha}]}$$ right (before further simplification)?
Then $$ =[ \frac{1}{2cos(b) e^{-a}} +\frac{1}{2}] + [\frac{1}{2} tan(b)]i $$ ? Or have I screwed up? (can't exactly substitute in numbers as easily in this case to test)

Last edited:
[itex]\frac{1}{1+e^{-\alpha}}=\frac{1}{1+e^{-a}(cosb-isinb)}=\frac{1+e^{-a}(cosb+isinb)}{(1+e^{-a}cosb)^2+(e^{-a}sinb)^2}=\frac{1+e^{-a}(cosb+isinb)}{1+2e^{-a}cosb+e^{-2a}}[/itex]

[itex]\alpha[/itex] and a look alike in itex.

Likes NotASmurf
Thanks mathman but since my previous answer is more computationally efficient (has to run vast iterations for the program) my previous answer correct?

Last edited:
Turns out this was a fruitless exercise since $$\frac{\partial u }{\partial x} \neq \frac{\partial v }{\partial y} $$ , so it doesn't conform with the Cauchy -Riemann equations D: (It needs to be differentiable)

Last edited:
NotASmurf said:
Turns out this was a fruitless exercise since $$\frac{\partial u }{\partial x} \neq \frac{\partial v }{\partial y} $$ , so it doesn't conform with the Cauchy -Riemann equations D: (It needs to be differentiable)
I think you should check that again. 1/(1+e) is analytic in the complex plane except where (1+e) = 0.

well when I reworked it I got $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} $$ BUT $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} $$ when it should be equal to the negative does that mean its diffentiable, but only for certain regions? (havn't had to do complex differentiation before), also quick question , the Riemann - Cauchy equations essentially say $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = 0 $$ must be true for it do be differentiable, this confuses me, can someone elucidate on the intuition here?

NotASmurf said:
$$\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} $$ when it should be equal to the negative
I think there must be a sign problem somewhere.
The series of operations α => -α => e => 1 + e gives an entire function (analytic in the entire complex plane)
Then 1/(1 + e) is analytic for α in ℂ except where it is a division by 0.
the Riemann - Cauchy equations essentially say $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = 0 $$ must be true for it do be differentiable,
This is not right. I'm not familiar with the Wirtinger derivatives (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtinger_derivatives), but apparently this should be the partial wrt z conjugate (see equation 3 of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy–Riemann_equations )

Likes NotASmurf
NotASmurf said:
Thanks mathman but since my previous answer is more computationally efficient (has to run vast iterations for the program) my previous answer correct?
I doubt it. It is different from mine - unlikely to be correct. Check out the denominator.

Likes NotASmurf
NotASmurf said:
the Riemann - Cauchy equations essentially say
∂f∂z=0​
\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = 0 must be true for it do be differentiable, this confuses me, can someone elucidate on the intuition here?
No, you are wrong. An analytic function is characterized by [itex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar{z}}=0[/itex] (you need to define [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar{z}}[/itex] in a sensible manner, but that should not be too hard).

1. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that takes a complex number as an input and returns a complex number as an output. It can be expressed in the form of f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where z = x + iy, u and v are real-valued functions, and i is the imaginary unit.

2. What is the purpose of evaluating a complex function in the form m+ni?

Evaluating a complex function in the form m+ni allows us to find the real and imaginary parts of the function's output. This can help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values at different points in the complex plane.

3. How do you evaluate a complex function in the form m+ni?

To evaluate a complex function in the form m+ni, we can use algebraic techniques such as substitution and simplification. We can also use graphical methods, such as plotting the function in the complex plane, to visualize its behavior.

4. What are some common mistakes when evaluating a complex function in the form m+ni?

Some common mistakes when evaluating a complex function include forgetting to distribute the imaginary unit i, miscalculating the real and imaginary parts, and using the wrong formula or method to evaluate the function.

5. How can evaluating complex functions in the form m+ni be useful in real-world applications?

Evaluating complex functions in the form m+ni is essential in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, electrical engineering, and economics. It allows us to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, make predictions, and solve problems that cannot be solved with real-valued functions.