Help finding a best fit to an angular distribution

In summary, The conversation discusses using best fit for a set of data with a non-linear function to find one angle for a calculation. The importance of understanding the process and the difference between predicting a value close to the data versus a far value is also mentioned. The speaker has found a good non-linear fitting program and is confident in its effectiveness based on a theoretical trend.
chloealex88
Hi all,

I have a set of data that is number of counts - vs - angle. I need one angle for a calculation. I think need to find the best fit instead of an average. What would be the best way of doing this? Maybe perform a least sq calculation? The function is non-linear.

Thanks in advance,

Chloe

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey chloealex88 and welcome to the forums.

As you have alluded to, the idea of best fit seems good for your purpose.

There are a variety of statistical packages that do all kinds of regression modelling including linear and non-linear fits and its pretty much just a click of a button to do this automatically.

The most important that needs to be asked is essentially: "What are the important characteristics of your process?"

It's not really hard to click a button to generate a best-fit with a high correlation but again if you don't have any understanding of your process and just blindly extrapolate a value beyond your data based on the fit it may be so wrong as to be useless for your purposes.

So apart from the first question the next question to ask is if the value you are trying to predict is 'close' to your data or 'far away'?

Here is what I mean for the above. Imagine you have 2D data for value of A going from [0,10] and you want to predict a value of B for A = 10.5: that would be considered 'close'.

If however you wanted to predict a B value for A = 20 that would be very dangerous and is considered 'far'.

It's not a hard and fast definition but the idea of using fit data to predict a value that close with no detailed idea of the process is very different than doing the same thing for a 'far' value and its important you be aware of this.

chiro said:
Hey chloealex88 and welcome to the forums.

As you have alluded to, the idea of best fit seems good for your purpose.

There are a variety of statistical packages that do all kinds of regression modelling including linear and non-linear fits and its pretty much just a click of a button to do this automatically.

The most important that needs to be asked is essentially: "What are the important characteristics of your process?"

It's not really hard to click a button to generate a best-fit with a high correlation but again if you don't have any understanding of your process and just blindly extrapolate a value beyond your data based on the fit it may be so wrong as to be useless for your purposes.

So apart from the first question the next question to ask is if the value you are trying to predict is 'close' to your data or 'far away'?

Here is what I mean for the above. Imagine you have 2D data for value of A going from [0,10] and you want to predict a value of B for A = 10.5: that would be considered 'close'.

If however you wanted to predict a B value for A = 20 that would be very dangerous and is considered 'far'.

It's not a hard and fast definition but the idea of using fit data to predict a value that close with no detailed idea of the process is very different than doing the same thing for a 'far' value and its important you be aware of this.

Thank you that was very interesting. The will be a more probable scattering angle. The function itself is similar to a cosine function. I have found a good non-linear fitting program. I will know it has work because there is a theoretical trend to the calculation I will perform.

Related to Help finding a best fit to an angular distribution

1. What does "best fit" mean in an angular distribution?

In an angular distribution, "best fit" refers to finding the curve or function that most accurately represents the data points. This typically involves minimizing the differences between the data points and the curve, and can be done using various statistical techniques.

2. How do I determine the best fit to an angular distribution?

The best fit to an angular distribution can be determined by using a statistical method such as least squares fitting or maximum likelihood estimation. These methods involve finding the parameters of a curve or function that minimize the differences between the data points and the curve.

3. What factors should be considered when finding the best fit to an angular distribution?

When finding the best fit to an angular distribution, it is important to consider the shape and spread of the data, as well as any underlying patterns or trends. The choice of statistical method and the number of parameters in the fitted curve should also be carefully considered.

4. Can I use software to help find the best fit to an angular distribution?

Yes, there are various software programs and packages available that can assist in finding the best fit to an angular distribution. These programs often have built-in functions for performing statistical analyses and can help visualize the data and the fitted curve.

5. How accurate is the best fit to an angular distribution?

The accuracy of the best fit to an angular distribution depends on several factors, including the quality of the data, the choice of statistical method, and the number of parameters in the fitted curve. Generally, a good fit should have a low value of error or residual, indicating that the curve closely matches the data points.