Help! Finding Direction of Current in Magnetic Circuit

In summary, the magnetic flux is increasing and this causes the current in both loops to be counter-clockwise. The resistance is calculated as ##R=6a\rho##, so ##I_L=-\frac{aB'(t)}{3\rho}\approx−0.00195\,A## (L for left). The resistance is calculated as ##R=4a\rho##, so ##I_R=-\frac{aB'(t)}{4\rho}\approx−0.00146\,A## (R for right). Since ##I_L## comes to ##PQ##
archaic
Homework Statement
The circuit in the figure below is located in a magnetic field whose magnitude varies with time according to the expression ##B=1.00\times10^{-3}t##, where ##B## is in teslas and ##t## is in seconds. Assume the resistance per length of the wire is ##0.094## Ω/m. Find the magnitude of the current in section ##PQ## of length ##a = 55.0## cm, and its direction.
Relevant Equations
$$\mathcal{E}=-\phi_B'(t)$$
I have nearly finished my homework, but am blocking at one of the simplest questions...
31-p-053.gif

I'm going to let ##\rho=0.094\,\Omega/m##
Since the magnetic flux is increasing, then, by Lenz's law, the current in both loops is counter-clockwise.
If we only look at the left loop, then ##\phi_L=2a^2B\Leftrightarrow\mathcal{E}=-2a^2B'(t)##. The resistance is ##R=6a\rho##, so ##I_L=-\frac{aB'(t)}{3\rho}\approx−0.00195\,A## (L for left).
If we only look at the right loop, then ##\phi_R=a^2B\Leftrightarrow\mathcal{E}=-a^2B'(t)##. The resistance is ##R=4a\rho##, so ##I_R=-\frac{aB'(t)}{4\rho}\approx−0.00146\,A##.
Since ##I_L## comes to ##PQ## from ##Q##, and is more negative than ##I_R##, then the direction of the total current is from ##Q## to ##P##, and ##|I|=I_R-I_L##.
The resultant magnitude is wrong, but the direction of the current is correct. Can anyone guide me a bit? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Likes Frigus
Physics news on Phys.org
Are all results wrong?
Have you checked if it has errata?

Hemant said:
Are all results wrong?
Have you checked if it has errata?
Hello! I have improved my answer a bit.
The resultant magnitude is wrong, but the direction of the current is correct.
No, no errata. This is from a homework platform.

archaic said:
Hello! I have improved my answer a bit.

No, no errata. This is from a homework platform.
What is answer friend?
I am also getting the same values as you.

Hemant said:
What is answer friend?
I am also getting the same values as you.
I don't know, the due date of the HW is the 7th. :frown:

• Sad
Likes Frigus
archaic said:
Since the magnetic flux is increasing, then, by Lenz's law, the current in both loops is counter-clockwise.
If we only look at the left loop, then ##\phi_L=2a^2B\Leftrightarrow\mathcal{E}=-2a^2B'(t)##. The resistance is ##R=6a\rho##, so ##I_L=-\frac{aB'(t)}{3\rho}\approx−0.00195\,A## (L for left).
If we only look at the right loop, then ##\phi_R=a^2B\Leftrightarrow\mathcal{E}=-a^2B'(t)##. The resistance is ##R=4a\rho##, so ##I_R=-\frac{aB'(t)}{4\rho}\approx−0.00146\,A##.
Since ##I_L## comes to ##PQ## from ##Q##, and is more negative than ##I_R##, then the direction of the total current is from ##Q## to ##P##, and ##|I|=I_R-I_L##.
This method is not correct. You can't treat the left and right loops in this way. I recommend that you consider three unknown currents as shown
1604354913274.png

Set up three independent equations for the currents.

TSny said:
This method is not correct. You can't treat the left and right loops in this way. I recommend that you consider three unknown currents as shown
View attachment 272064

Set up three independent equations for the currents.
Hello, and thanks! Someone else also has proposed this to me.
Untitled.png

I oriented the batteries in the same way because both emfs have the same sign, and also because the induced current is counter-clockwise in both loops. Is this the good reason?
The emfs are calculated as in my first post, and the resistances are ##R=a\rho##, ##R_L=5a\rho##, and ##R_R=3a\rho##.
Assuming that the desired current goes from ##Q## to ##P##, I get$$\begin{align*}
I&=I_L-I_R\\
I_L&=\frac{\mathcal{E}_L}{R_L}-\frac{R}{R_L}I\\
I_R&=\frac{\mathcal{E}_R}{R_R}+\frac{R}{R_R}I
\end{align*}$$$$I=\frac{\frac{\mathcal{E}_L}{R_L}-\frac{\mathcal{E}_R}{R_R}}{1+\frac{R}{R_L}+\frac{R}{R_R}}$$
I am not really sure why I would think this to be true, though. Is my treatment of the loops in the original post correct in determining the direction of the current? If not, then how do we do it?

Likes Delta2
In post #1 I agree with the direction of currents but I disagree with the respective formulas for the calculation of ##I_L## and ##I_R##. You treat them like each of them is the only current that runs through the PQ conductor, but both currents affect the current that runs through the PQ segment according to the equation you have wrote that is ##I_{PQ}=I_L-I_R##
In post #7 I think the equivalent circuit is correct. But I am not sure about the last 3 equations, can you show us in more detail how you derive them?

I now had the time to check more carefully your equations of post #7 and I think they are correct.

Hey @Delta2! Thank you very much! Sorry for not having written the entire derivation. :frown:
Delta2 said:
but both currents affect the current that runs through the PQ segment according to the equation you have wrote that is ##I_{PQ}=I_L-I_R##
Ha! So my reasoning for that was correct.
Delta2 said:
I now had the time to check more carefully your equations of post #7 and I think they are correct.
Thanks again!

Likes Delta2

1. What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit is a closed path or loop through which a magnetic flux flows. It consists of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, and a source of magnetic field, such as a magnet or an electric current. Similar to an electric circuit, a magnetic circuit follows the laws of electromagnetism and can be used to control and manipulate magnetic fields.

2. How do I find the direction of current in a magnetic circuit?

The direction of current in a magnetic circuit can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the magnetic field, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the current. Alternatively, you can use the dot convention, which states that the current flows in the direction of the arrow in a circuit diagram.

3. What is the role of current in a magnetic circuit?

The current in a magnetic circuit creates a magnetic field, which is essential for the operation of devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. It also determines the strength and direction of the magnetic flux in the circuit, which is crucial for achieving the desired magnetic effects.

4. How does the direction of current affect the magnetic field in a circuit?

The direction of current determines the direction of the magnetic field in a circuit. If the current is reversed, the magnetic field will also reverse its direction. This is important in applications where the direction of the magnetic field needs to be controlled, such as in electric motors.

5. Can the direction of current in a magnetic circuit be changed?

Yes, the direction of current in a magnetic circuit can be changed by changing the direction of the external magnetic field or by reversing the current flow. This can be achieved by using switches, relays, or other electronic components in the circuit. It is also possible to change the direction of current in a magnetic circuit by changing the polarity of the power source.