Help Finding the Transfer Function H(s)=Vi(s)/Ii(s)

In summary: Doing so makes it clearer which terms are being multiplied and how they are affecting each other.When you don't have the correct answer to compare yours with, a simple check you can do is ask: what is H(s) when s=0. This is the DC value, which inspection of your circuit indicates is the inductor branch with its 10 ohms. Also, when s → infinity you have the high frequency impedance, here being the 500 ohms in the capacitive branch. If these two extremes of H(s) check okay, there's good reason to be optimistic the rest of your work is right.
Captain1024

Homework Statement

Find the transfer function ##H(s)=\frac{Vi(s)}{Ii(s)}##

The circuit consists of a voltage source and a 5H Inductor in series with a 10Ohm Resistor which are in parallel with a 10uF Capacitor in series with a 500Ohm Resistor. ##\rightarrow## Diagram here.

Homework Equations

Parallel Impedances: ##Z_{eq}=\frac{Z1Z2}{Z1+Z2}##

##s=j\omega##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##5H\ \rightarrow\ j\omega5##
##10\mu F\ \rightarrow\ \frac{1}{j\omega10^{-5}}##
##Z_1=j\omega5+10##
##Z_2=\frac{1}{j\omega10^{-5}}+500##
##V_i=\frac{Z_1Z_2}{Z_1+Z_2}I##

##V_i=\frac{\frac{j\omega5}{j\omega10^{-5}}+j\omega2500+\frac{10}{j\omega10^{-5}}+5000}{j\omega5+\frac{1}{j\omega10^{-5}}+510}I##

##H(s)=\frac{V_i}{I}=\frac{5.05e5+(1.0025e6)s}{5s+\frac{10e5}{s}+510}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you replace jw by s, multiply both numerator and denominator by jw to get a tidier form.

NascentOxygen said:
Before you replace jw by s, multiply both numerator and denominator by jw to get a tidier form.
I have to go to sleep now. I will be back at it tomorrow afternoon.

You could have used s right from the start.
5H → s5
10uF → 1/(s10-5)

Then V(s) = Z(s).I(s)

Problem reworked:

##j\omega5\ \rightarrow\ 5s##
##\frac{1}{j\omega10^{-5}}\ \rightarrow\ \frac{1}{10^{-5}} \frac{1}{s}\ \rightarrow\ \frac{10^5}{s}##

##Z_1=5s+10##
##Z_2=\frac{10^5}{s}+500##
##V_i=Z_{eq} I_i##
##\frac{V_i}{I_i}=\frac{(5s+10)(\frac{10^5}{s}+500)}{5s+10+\frac{10^5}{s}+500}##

##=\frac{5e5+2500s+\frac{10^6}{s}+5000}{5s+\frac{10^5}{s}+510}##

##=\frac{5.05e5+2500s+\frac{10^6}{s}}{5s+\frac{10^5}{s}+510}(\frac{s}{s})##

##=\frac{2500s^2+(5.05e5)s+10^6}{5s^2+510s+10^5}##

Correct answer: ##H(s)=\frac{0.25s^2+5.05s+10}{(5e-5)s^2+(5.1e-3)s+1}##

These two answers do not seem equivalent to me? Where am I going wrong?

I just verified by finding the zeros and poles. My answer matches. Thanks for the guidance.

When you don't have the correct answer to compare yours with, a simple check you can do is ask: what is H(s) when s=0. This is the DC value, which inspection of your circuit indicates is the inductor branch with its 10 ohms. Also, when s → infinity you have the high frequency impedance, here being the 500 ohms in the capacitive branch. If these two extremes of H(s) check okay, there's good reason to be optimistic the rest of your work is right.

Rather than introduce numbers early in the solution, you should retain the component symbols until the end.

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in control systems and signal processing to analyze and design systems.

2. How do I find the transfer function for a given system?

The transfer function can be found by taking the Laplace transform of the system's differential equations. Alternatively, if the system is represented by a block diagram, the transfer function can be found by solving for the overall transfer function using block diagram algebra.

3. What does H(s) represent in the transfer function?

H(s) represents the transfer function itself, and is a function of the complex variable s. It is the ratio of the Laplace transform of the input voltage (Vi(s)) to the Laplace transform of the input current (Ii(s)).

4. How is the transfer function used in practical applications?

The transfer function is used to analyze and design systems in the frequency domain. It can be used to determine stability, performance, and other characteristics of a system. It is also used in feedback control systems to design controllers and improve system response.

5. Are there any limitations to using transfer functions?

Transfer functions are limited in their ability to accurately represent nonlinear and time-varying systems. They also assume that the system is in a steady-state, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, transfer functions are limited to linear systems and may not accurately represent systems with large variations in input signals.