Help finding the vertical component of the reaction at C

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of Cy using the sum of forces method. The equation Ma = 1.5kN(7m)-Ay(15.5m) is used to find Ay, which is calculated to be 0.677kN. To find Cy, the equation Fy = Ay - F2 - F1sin55 + Cy = 0 is used. It is recommended to pay attention to details and use correct notation, such as using 'MA' instead of 'Ma' and using more significant figures for intermediate-step answers to reduce rounding errors.
mcrooster
Homework Statement
Finding the vertical component of the reaction at C
Relevant Equations
E of E
1600065781119.png

1600065805032.png

Hello everyone,

For this equation, I have found Ay as 0.677kN by using Ma = 1.5kN(7m)-Ay(15.5m).

To find Cy, would I be using the sum of forces to find the answer?

For example Fy = Ay - F2 - F1sin55 + Cy = 0
This would then get Cy answer as 2.05kN

Physics news on Phys.org
mcrooster said:
This would then get Cy answer as 2.05kN
Looks right.

Hi. Method is fine but pay attention to detail.
E.g. Don't use 'a' for 'A' (as in 'Ma'). Don't forget to say MA equals 0. Personally I would just say 'moments about A' rather than 'MA'.
For this equation, I have found Ay as 0.677kN by using Ma = 1.5kN(7m)-Ay(15.5m).
So it would be clearer to write the equation as (for example):
1.5kN(7m) - Ay(15.5m) = 0 (moments about A)

I would use one or two additional significant figures for intermediate-step answers (e.g. Ay = 0.6774kN). This reduces accumulated rounding errors in later steps. Round final answers as appropriate at the end.

1. What is the vertical component of the reaction at C?

The vertical component of the reaction at C is the force acting in the vertical direction at point C. It is an important factor in determining the stability and equilibrium of a structure.

2. How do you calculate the vertical component of the reaction at C?

The vertical component of the reaction at C can be calculated using the principle of static equilibrium, where the sum of all vertical forces acting on the structure must equal zero. This can be represented by the equation ΣFy = 0, where ΣFy is the sum of all vertical forces.

3. What factors affect the vertical component of the reaction at C?

The vertical component of the reaction at C is affected by the weight of the structure, any applied loads, and the angle of the support at point C. Other factors such as friction and external forces may also play a role.

4. Can the vertical component of the reaction at C be negative?

Yes, the vertical component of the reaction at C can be negative if the direction of the force is pointing downwards. This indicates that the structure is experiencing a downward force at point C, which may cause it to sink or deform.

5. Why is it important to find the vertical component of the reaction at C?

Finding the vertical component of the reaction at C is important in determining the stability and safety of a structure. It helps engineers and scientists understand how external forces and loads affect the structure and how it will behave under different conditions. This information is crucial in designing and constructing safe and efficient structures.