Help Graphing Piece Wise Function Please

In summary, the person is having trouble graphing a function that is piecewise continuous but discontinuous at a point. They are wondering how to indicate the function value at the discontinuity on the graph. The expert clarifies that for piecewise continuous functions, it is not necessary to explicitly denote the function value at the point of discontinuity, and the two lines can simply be connected on the graph.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Having some trouble graphing this

y = 3 - x for x less then or equal to 1
y = 2x for x greater than one

how do I indicate that for the first part (1, 2) there would be a closed point at that cordinate but for the second part an open point at those same exact cordinates how do I indicate this on my graph?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your function seems to be continuous, so there is no "open circle" for the second part of the function. If, say, y=3x for x > 1, then you would draw an open circle at (1,3) and a closed one at (1,2). But here, you just draw the two lines connected at (1,2).

you do not indicate that. You are plotting the entire function, not its individual pieces. And (1,2) is a closed point for the function.

Let me clarify. When graphing a function that is piecewise continuous but discontinuous at a point, you indicate the function value at the discontinuity with a closed circle on the piece that contains the function value, and an open point on the piece that does not. When graphing the function here, the function is everywhere continuous, and so it is not necessary to explicitly denote the function value at the point where the function is piecewise defined differently with any kind of special circle. You can just draw the two lines connected.

Related to Help Graphing Piece Wise Function Please

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different rules or expressions for different intervals or portions of its domain. This allows for a more specific and accurate representation of a given relationship or situation.

2. How do I graph a piecewise function?

To graph a piecewise function, you first need to determine the different intervals or portions of the domain and the corresponding equations or rules for each interval. Then, plot the points for each interval and connect them with a line or curve, depending on the type of function. Make sure to label the different portions of the graph and indicate any discontinuities or breaks in the function.

3. What is the purpose of using piecewise functions?

Piecewise functions are used to represent real-life situations or relationships that have different rules or behaviors in different intervals. They allow for a more accurate and comprehensive representation of data and can be used to model various phenomena in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

4. Can I use a calculator to graph a piecewise function?

Yes, most graphing calculators have the capability to graph piecewise functions. However, it is important to make sure the calculator is set to properly handle the different portions of the function and to check the graph for accuracy.

5. How can I determine the domain and range of a piecewise function?

The domain and range of a piecewise function can be determined by looking at the different intervals and their corresponding rules or equations. The domain is the set of all possible input values for the function, while the range is the set of all possible output values. It is important to consider any discontinuities or breaks in the function when determining the domain and range.