Help Help Help what is the function of this program?

I get X(1)= d, X(2)= c, X(3)= b, X(4)= a for n= 4 and X(1)= e, X(2)= d, X(3)= c, X(4)= b, X(5)= a for n= 5.In summary, the subroutine STIKA(X,N) performs a sorting routine on an array X of size N, swapping the values in ascending order. If the size of the array is less than 2, the subroutine does nothing. It uses a standard swapping method to sort the values in the array. This routine can be translated into a high level language like VB or Java for use in other programs.
vsolute
SUBROUTINE STIKA (X,N)
DIMENSION X(N)
IF (N. LT. 2) RETURN
DO 20 I=2, N
DO 10 J=1, I
IF(X(I) .GE. X(J)) GOTO 10

SAVE = X(I)
X(I) = X(J)
X(J) = SAVE
10 CONTINUE
20 CONTINUE
RETURN

If any have a good idea about the program please help

What i actually want is that, I want to know what this program routine will perform and i also want to translate into a high level language like vb or java

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The fragment
"Save= X(i)
X(i)= X(j)
X(j)= Save"

is a standard method of "swapping" two values. If X(i)= a and X(j)= b, then after "Save= X(i)", Save= a. After "X(i)= X(j)", X(i)= b. After "X(j)= Save", X(j)= a so we have swapped a and b. If you just said "X(i)= X(j), X(j)= X(i)" you would wind up with X(i) and X(j) having the same value, whatever was originally in X(j), because in that first "X(i)= X(j)" you lose the value of X(i). That's why you want to "save" it first.

In any case for any bit of code, like this, the simplest thing to do is to "walk through it". That is, go through it by hand seeing what happens. First, notice that if n= 1, the program does nothing because of "If n LT 2 Return". Supose n= 2, X(1)= a, X(2)= b.
The first time through the outer loop I= 2 so the inner loop becomes "For J= 1 to 2".
We start with J= 1. If X(I)= X(J), that is if X(2)= X(1), or a= b, nothing is done. If that is not true then we swap the two- X(1)= b, X(2)= a (you see why it might be sensible to jump over this if a= b).
Now we have J= 2. I= 2 also so X(I)=X(J) and we skip over the swap.
Since I was going "from 2 to 2", we are done- we now have X(1)= b, X(2)= a. We have swapped the two values.

Okay, let's try n= 3, X(1)= a, X(2)= b, X(3)= c.
We start with I= 2, J= 1, and swap X(1) and X(2): X(1)= b, X(2)= a.
Now, J becomes 2, X(I)= X(2)= X(J) so nothing is done

I becomes 3. J= 1 again, and we swap X(1) and X(3): X(1)= c, X(3)= b.
J= 2, so we swap X(2) and X(3): X(2)= b, X(3)= a.
J= 3, so X(I)= X(3)= X(J) and nothing is done.

Since we have done I from 2 to n= 3, we are done.

We started with X(1)= a, X(2)= b, and X(3)= c.
We ended with X(1)= c, X(2)= b, and X(3)= a.

Get the idea?

If not, try "walking through" the code with n= 4 and n= 5.

Related to Help Help Help what is the function of this program?

1. What is the purpose of this program?

The purpose of this program is to perform a specific task or function, such as data analysis, modeling, or simulation.

2. How does this program work?

This program works by following a set of instructions, or algorithms, to process input data and produce an output result. It may also use various programming languages and tools to execute its functions.

3. What are the benefits of using this program?

The benefits of using this program vary depending on its specific function, but some common benefits include efficiency, accuracy, automation, and the ability to handle large amounts of data.

4. Is this program user-friendly?

The user-friendliness of a program depends on its design and interface. Some programs may have a user-friendly interface, while others may require more technical knowledge to use effectively.

5. Can this program be customized for specific needs?

Many programs can be customized or tailored to meet specific needs or objectives. This may involve adjusting settings, parameters, or code to modify its behavior and output.