Help How do I keep up in the field while I stay home with my toddler?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has a masters in physics and is currently staying at home with their toddler. They are looking for suggestions for part-time or work-from-home options, as well as volunteer opportunities, to keep them updated and prevent their skills from getting rusty while they take care of their child. Some suggestions given include becoming an online tutor, getting involved in discussions at a physics forum, teaching online classes, and looking into grants for re-entering academia after taking time off. It is also suggested to continue socializing with other physicists and to read to stay updated on topics of interest.
klile82
I recently left work to stay home with my toddler. I have a masters in physics and I'd love to go back to work when I'm done having children and they're school-age. But this leaves me out of practice for the next... decade or so. Does anyone have recommendations for part-time work, work-from home options, or volunteer work that will help me stay somewhat up-to-date and keep my brain from getting too mushy? I thought about busting out the calc books with my daughter, but maybe 16 months is too early.

Any comments are appreciated.

~ Katie

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm only an undergrad, but I seem to always be getting e-mails about various groups wanting physics or math tutors. High schools or colleges in your area would probably be more than willing to supply you on info on how to get started doing something along that line if it interests you.

I think that continuing to socialize with other physicists may do a surprising amount towards keeping it from getting rusty. Also, reading is the perfect "at home" activity, time to start catching up on topics you're interested in but never got around to.

Some suggestions:
- become an online tutor... (I thought about this as a side job... but I didn't look into it enough to recommend a reputable company).
- you can hang around at PF... get involved with discussions, possibly helping others with homework
- find a position to teach a class online (distance learning).
- look into possible grants and funding specifically for your situation of trying to re-enter academia after taking time out to care for your family (I have heard of such things... but I don't have any particular suggestion)

I'd back up all of the things that robphy said. If you have a univ. near by then maybe you could get someone in the physics department there to keep you up to date and recommend you undergrads to tutor. Also, I'd say you should give that Calc idea with your daughter a second try just to see how it turns out :wink: you could be raising the next feynman for all you know

Related to Help How do I keep up in the field while I stay home with my toddler?

1. How can I balance taking care of my toddler while keeping up with the latest developments in my field?

One way to balance these responsibilities is to create a schedule that allows for dedicated work time while your toddler is napping or occupied with other activities. You can also involve your toddler in your work by setting up a designated "office" space for them to play in while you work nearby.

2. Is it possible to attend conferences or workshops while staying home with my toddler?

Yes, many conferences and workshops offer virtual options that you can attend from home. You can also look for local events or webinars that may be more feasible to attend with your toddler in tow.

3. How can I stay connected with my colleagues and network while being home with my toddler?

Utilize technology to stay connected with your colleagues, such as scheduling virtual meetings or joining online forums and discussion groups. You can also reach out to other parents in your field to form a support system.

4. Are there any online resources or courses that can help me stay updated in my field?

Yes, there are many online resources and courses available that can help you stay updated in your field. You can search for webinars, online courses, or read articles and publications from reputable sources.

5. How can I maintain a healthy work-life balance while caring for my toddler at home?

It's important to set boundaries and prioritize your tasks. Make sure to communicate with your supervisor and colleagues about your schedule and availability. It's also important to take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.