HELP How to calculate wage for assistants at hair salon?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Annabanana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, according to the data provided, stylist A should contribute 59.65, stylist B should contribute 36.71, stylist C should contribute 18.35, and stylist D should contribute 41.29 to the fund.
Annabanana
Hello! So I'm not sure if this is the right forum or thread to ask this question but I really need help figuring out a formula in a work context. Please help if you are able!

My mother owns a hair salon where the stylists share the help of several assistants. There are 4 stylists and 4 assistants. My mom wants to change the system for paying out the assistants, because currently the assistants make \$12 an hour and the stylists all pay an equal fraction of their wage REGARDLESS of how many hours each stylist worked. So even if a stylist was out sick for a week or if they had a very slow week of work, she is still responsible for paying out a fraction of the assistants' wages.

We are trying to figure out a chart or formula for paying out the assistants based on how many hours were worked that day or that week by the stylist. Where we get stuck is when we try to account for how many stylists are on the floor at any given moment in relation to how many stylists.

For example,

Stylist A: 8AM - 5 PM

Stylist B: 8 AM - 12PM

Stylist C: 10 AM - 12 PM

Stylist D: 10 AM - 4 PM

Assistant 1: 8 AM - 10 AM

Assistant 2: 8 AM - 12PM

Assistant 3: 10 AM - 2 PM

Assistant 4: 12 PM - 3 PMHow do we find a formula/method in whch the stylists are only paying out assistants during the hours the stylists ACTUALLY worked? (Reminder assistants make $12 an hour)

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this and try to help me and my mom! We are both a bit slow with numbers!

- Anna

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Using your example data, I would look first at stylist A and see that during their time working, there were 13 hours worked by the assistants. For stylist B this is 8, for C 4 and for D 9. This is a total of 34. Now, the money owed to the assistants in total is 12(13) = 156. And so the amount each stylist should contribute to this fund is:

A: (13/34)156 = 59.65

B: (8/34)156 = 36.71

C: (4/34)156 = 18.35

D: (9/34)156 = 41.29

Is that the kind of thing you're after?

This one has me pulling my hair out !

What is the average wage for assistants at a hair salon?

The average wage for assistants at a hair salon varies depending on factors such as location, experience, and job responsibilities. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average hourly wage for hair salon assistants in the United States is $12.77 per hour.

How do I calculate the wage for assistants at a hair salon?

To calculate the wage for assistants at a hair salon, you will need to determine the number of hours worked and the hourly rate. Multiply the number of hours worked by the hourly rate to get the gross pay. Then subtract any deductions or taxes to get the net pay.

What factors can affect the wage for assistants at a hair salon?

The wage for assistants at a hair salon can be affected by various factors such as location, experience, job responsibilities, and the type of salon. For example, assistants working in a high-end salon in a major city may earn a higher wage than those working in a smaller, local salon.

Do assistants at a hair salon receive tips?

It is common for assistants at a hair salon to receive tips from clients. These tips are usually given in addition to their regular wage and can vary depending on the services provided and the satisfaction of the client.

Are there any additional benefits that assistants at a hair salon may receive?

In addition to their regular wage, assistants at a hair salon may also receive benefits such as health insurance, paid time off, and discounts on salon services and products. These benefits may vary depending on the salon and the terms of employment.