Need help figuring out how to calculate new calendar

• MHB
  • Thread starter magee101
  • Start date
In summary, the new calendar for the sci-fi game is based on 11 months with 20 days (4 weeks of 5 days) with 23 hour days and has no leap years. The first year of this calendar is based on January 1st, 2290 AD of the Real World calendar. To convert the extra hour per Real World day, 135,300.522 new planet days and 12 hours need to be added to the new calendar. There are 615 years and 12 hours between 2290 and 2645 on this new planet. This information will be useful for future problems.
magee101
Hello there, I am creating a calendar for a sci-fi game I am creating for a roll20 session. I would appreicate some help in figuring out the current Month/Day/Year for this new calendar based on our Real World calendar date of 11/23/2645.

This new calendar is based on 11 months with 20 days (4 weeks of 5 days) with 23 hour days. It has no leap years. Year 1 of this new calendar is based on January 1st 2290 AD of our calendar. I would really appreciate some help figuring this out!

The main things I need help with is: Converting the extra hour per RL day into amount of days added to the new calendar. Figuring out where 2290 fits on the leap year schedule of our calendar to add in the extra day per 4 years.

The new calendar is a standard 220 23 hr days, as opposed to our 364/365 of 24hr days.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
From 2290 to 2645 is 2645- 2290= 355 years. There are 88 leap years in the time so a total of 355(365)+ 88= 129,663 (earth) days and (129,663)(24)= 3,111,912 (earth) hours.

Now work backwards using the corresponding new planet values. An "hour" is not based on any planetary property (unlike the day or year) so I am going to take a (new planet) hour to be the same as an (earth) hour. Since there are 23 hours in a (new planet) day, 3,111,912 (earth) hours is 3,111,912/23= 135,300.522 (new planet) days and 12 hours). Since there are 20 days in a (new planet) month, that is 135300/20= 6765 months. Since there are 11 months in a (new planet) year, there are 6765/11= 615 years. So, taking 2290, on earth, as the "zero" year for this new planet, 2645 is 615 years, and 12 hours. That would be a little before noon of Jan 1, 615 on this new planet.

Thank you so much! Also taught me how to work through similar problems later

1. What is the purpose of calculating a new calendar?

The purpose of calculating a new calendar is to create a system for organizing and tracking days and dates in a way that is more efficient and accurate than traditional calendars. This can be useful for various reasons, such as planning events, managing schedules, and coordinating activities with others.

2. How is a new calendar calculated?

A new calendar is typically calculated by determining the length of a year, the number of months, and the number of days in each month. Various factors can affect the calculations, such as leap years and cultural or religious traditions. Additionally, the starting point or epoch of the calendar must be chosen.

3. What is the difference between a solar and lunar calendar?

A solar calendar is based on the Earth's orbit around the sun, with the length of the year being approximately 365 days. A lunar calendar, on the other hand, is based on the phases of the moon, with the length of the year being approximately 354 days. This results in a difference of 11 days between the two types of calendars.

4. Are there any challenges in creating a new calendar?

Yes, there can be challenges in creating a new calendar. It is important to consider the historical and cultural significance of existing calendars, as well as the potential impact on society and industries that rely on a specific calendar. Additionally, accurate and consistent calculations must be made to ensure the calendar is functional and reliable.

5. How do I convert dates from one calendar to another?

To convert dates from one calendar to another, you will need to know the epoch or starting point of each calendar, as well as the length of the year and number of months. You can then use mathematical formulas or online conversion tools to accurately convert dates. However, keep in mind that not all calendars are fully compatible and some adjustments may need to be made.