Help Identifying a Component (TO-220)

• Thread starter teroenza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the conversation discussed an array of pump laser diodes, with a 3-terminal component of unknown identity, suspected to be a voltage or current regulator. The component was identified as a power N-MOSFET with parameters of 21 Amps, N-Channel, and 60V. It was found to be discontinued by Philips Semiconductor, now NXP, in 2010. Additional information was found in Italian. The conversation concluded with the information being sufficient for the original question.
teroenza
TL;DR Summary
Hoping to get help identifying a mystery 3-terminal TO-220 component that was connected to some pump laser diodes.
I've come across an array of pump laser diodes (IPG brand, PLD-6-4) wired in series with a 3-terminal component I can't identity. I suspect it is a voltage or current regulator, but can't seem to Google-up any info on it. Markings are "PHP 21N0GLT PHm0501E2".

TO-220 package, red and black wires connected across the diode series, purple wire (half the diameter of the other two) went elsewhere and I don't know what it connected to.

Can anyone help me identify this?
20200828_125044.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a power N-MOSFET, search for "21N06"

Likes berkeman
Thank you!

Likes DaveE and berkeman
BTW, For MOSFETS, there is a rough estimation of the parameters in the P/N:
in "21N06", "21..." = 21 Amps, "...N..." = N-Channel, "...06" = 60V.
The letters before this are usually the manufacturer, the letters at the end are the package type.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Averagesupernova and teroenza
Thanks everyone. That should be sufficient for me to try playing with the diodes.

1. What is a TO-220 component?

A TO-220 is a type of electronic component package that is commonly used for power semiconductors, such as transistors and voltage regulators. It has three leads and a metal tab for heat dissipation.

2. How do I identify a TO-220 component?

TO-220 components are typically labeled with a part number and manufacturer logo. The part number can be used to search for a datasheet, which will provide more information about the component's specifications and function.

3. What are the common uses for TO-220 components?

TO-220 components are commonly used in power supply circuits, motor control circuits, and other applications that require high voltage and current handling capabilities. They are also used in audio amplifiers and other electronic devices.

4. Can a TO-220 component be replaced with a different package type?

In most cases, a TO-220 component can be replaced with a different package type, such as a TO-247 or DPAK. However, it is important to check the datasheet to ensure that the replacement component has similar specifications and can handle the same voltage and current requirements.

5. How can I tell if a TO-220 component is damaged or faulty?

If a TO-220 component is damaged or faulty, it may exhibit signs such as overheating, burning smell, or failure to function properly. It is also a good idea to check the datasheet for any recommended tests or measurements that can be performed to diagnose the issue.