Help Identifying AESA Antenna Structure Type found in the F-35 aircraft

In summary, the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-81 AESA Radar antenna is different from past AESA/PESA antennas in its structural layout, which is a stacked, slotted waveguide structure. The name for the structural layout is unknown, but one suggestion is "honeycomb." The antenna is designed for around 10GHz plus/minus ~ 1GHz, and can be driven in and out of phase by the transmitter.
ryaamaak
This is the AN/APG-81 AESA Radar antenna by Northrop Grumman currently found in the F-35 (photo from wikipedia article).
AN-APG-81_Antenna%2C_2005_-_National_Electronics_Museum_-_DSC00393.jpg

It seems to have a very different structure than past AESA/PESA antennas. For example the APG-68 from the F-16 looks a lot like stacked, slotted wave guides to me.

So what is the name of the actual structural layout for the APG-81? One person I talked to suggested "honeycomb", but I couldn't find any reference to that antenna structure on google scholar. Better search terms would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• AN-APG-81_Antenna%2C_2005_-_National_Electronics_Museum_-_DSC00393.jpg
    AN-APG-81_Antenna%2C_2005_-_National_Electronics_Museum_-_DSC00393.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,483
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes davenn and berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Paul Colby said:
but I was going to suggest a Vivaldi Slot Array.

good thought, except Vivaldi slots are usually tapered, on closer inspection, these slots are a uniform width

ryaamaak said:
It seems to have a very different structure than past AESA/PESA antennas. For example the APG-68 from the F-16 looks a lot like stacked, slotted wave guides to me...
Thanks!

Yes, that antenna definitely appears to be sets of slotted waveguides, a big giveaway is the offset of the slots along each guide
that is the norm. for slotted WG's

do you have a link to a larger pic of this antenna ?

youtube video from Northrop Grumman for the radar
other videos on the topic ...

Dave

Last edited:
Likes ryaamaak
davenn said:
good thought, except Vivaldi slots are usually tapered, on closer inspection, these slots are a uniform width

The elements on the periphery may be parasitic elements. It's unclear to me if the metallization is seen. It may be on the side facing away in the picture. I'm happy for it not to be one though.

Likes ryaamaak
Thanks everyone for the great input!

davenn said:
do you have a link to a larger pic of this antenna ?
Larger image may be found here. I wasn't able to embed it full size.

Likes davenn
ryaamaak said:
Thanks everyone for the great input!

Larger image may be found here. I wasn't able to embed it full size.

yeah, I eventually found that in the wiki article when I was looking through those other links I posted :smile:

here's a closeup of a section

10GHz radar phased array antenna.jpg

This antenna is designed for around 10GHz plus/minus ~ 1GHz
I suspect each of those little bars at the top is a 1/4 or 1/2 wave at 10GHz (electrical 1/2 wave = ~ 1.4cm)
A tad difficult to tell the scale in that image
So basically you have masses of say 1/4 wave radiators and the rows of these radiators can be driven by the transmitter
in and out of phase to direct the beam as needed ... as shown in that 2nd or 3rd video I posted

a hint to how these radiators are grouped comes from a bit of that first video shortly in from the startDave

Attachments

• 10GHz radar phased array antenna.jpg
    10GHz radar phased array antenna.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,986
Likes ryaamaak
On a similar theme

I have a phased array from a terrestrial microwave link antenna that I have had a difficult time to
understand the technology and how the heck it radiates/receives
I may post a pic when I get home fort your interest :smile:

Dave

Likes ryaamaak
Ok I think I'm getting the gist of it. One article mentioned a diameter of approximately 0.7m for the APG-81, so an individual measurement of ~1.4cm seems plausible. Forgive me if this question has a self-evident answer, but would this radiator shape have a specific name or descriptive terms attached to it? (I'm thinking along the lines of how "dipole antenna" shaped elements are frequently used as passive radiators in a yagi-uda antenna.)

For comparison/contrast, the APG-77 from the F22 (below) has a similar structure to the APG-81, but the individual radiators are slightly different: not as tapered at the top, no deep slit between radiators, and confirmed use of GaAs.

lectronically_Scanned_Array%2C_Northrop_Grumman%2C_2001_-_National_Electronics_Museum_-_DSC00388.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

• lectronically_Scanned_Array%2C_Northrop_Grumman%2C_2001_-_National_Electronics_Museum_-_DSC00388.jpg
    lectronically_Scanned_Array%2C_Northrop_Grumman%2C_2001_-_National_Electronics_Museum_-_DSC00388.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,998
Likes davenn
ryaamaak said:
Ok I think I'm getting the gist of it. One article mentioned a diameter of approximately 0.7m for the APG-81, so an individual measurement of ~1.4cm seems plausible. Forgive me if this question has a self-evident answer, but would this radiator shape have a specific name or descriptive terms attached to it? (I'm thinking along the lines of how "dipole antenna" shaped elements are frequently used as passive radiators in a yagi-uda antenna.)

For comparison/contrast, the APG-77 from the F22 (below) has a similar structure to the APG-81, but the individual radiators are slightly different: not as tapered at the top, no deep slit between radiators, and confirmed use of GaAs.

View attachment 225104

Thanks!
that's a cool variation

ryaamaak said:
For comparison/contrast, the APG-77 from the F22 (below) has a similar structure to the APG-81, but the individual radiators are slightly different: not as tapered at the top, no deep slit between radiators

not as deep as the other one but deeper than initially thought on first look see this ...

10GHz radar phased array antenna2.jpg

upload_2018-5-4_14-15-15.png

they have the same stepped arrangement

I'm a radio tech at heart, this sort of high tech fascinates the hell out of me haha

Attachments

• 10GHz radar phased array antenna2.jpg
    10GHz radar phased array antenna2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,618
  • upload_2018-5-4_14-15-15.png
    upload_2018-5-4_14-15-15.png
    38 KB · Views: 1,503
Likes ryaamaak
Now @Paul Colby earlier commented on Vivaldi antennas

Paul Colby said:
I can't see much detail from the picture but I was going to suggest a Vivaldi Slot Array. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9fe2/60de5caeec3cdc36cbb2dbea50e7b5f2fc53.pdf

just stumbled on this pic of a real Vivaldi phased array for a radar
Note how the slot changes from wide to narrow aperture ... this gives it wide bandwidth

10GHz radar phased array antenna3.jpg

going further

here's the block diag. of the feeding of the Vivaldi on the left and our other type on the right

AESA_1.png
Dave

Attachments

• 10GHz radar phased array antenna3.jpg
    10GHz radar phased array antenna3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 3,185
  • AESA_1.png
    AESA_1.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,883
Likes ryaamaak and Paul Colby

1. What is an AESA Antenna Structure Type?

An AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) Antenna Structure Type is a type of radar antenna used in modern fighter aircraft, including the F-35. It is a flat array of transmit/receive elements that can electronically steer and shape the radar beam, providing improved performance and flexibility compared to traditional mechanical antennas.

2. How does an AESA Antenna work?

The AESA Antenna uses a large number of individual transmit/receive elements to generate and steer the radar beam. These elements are controlled by a computer, allowing for rapid and precise scanning of the radar beam in multiple directions. This allows for improved detection and tracking of targets, even in complex environments.

3. What are the advantages of an AESA Antenna?

Compared to traditional mechanically scanned antennas, AESA antennas offer several advantages. These include higher transmit power, improved range and resolution, faster scanning, and lower vulnerability to jamming. They also allow for multiple beams to be generated simultaneously, providing increased situational awareness.

4. How can you identify the AESA Antenna Structure Type in the F-35?

The AESA Antenna Structure Type in the F-35 can be identified by its distinctive flat, panel-like appearance on the front of the aircraft. It is also often referred to as the AN/APG-81 radar system, which is the specific AESA radar used in the F-35.

5. Are there any limitations to AESA Antennas?

While AESA Antennas offer many advantages, they also have some limitations. These include higher cost and complexity compared to traditional antennas, as well as limited field of view and range compared to larger mechanically scanned antennas. However, overall, the benefits of AESA antennas make them a valuable technology for modern fighter aircraft.

Back