Help Identifying Source of Sliding Adhesion Coefficient Equation

In summary, the conversation was about a graduate student working on a thesis in tire dynamics and simulation. The student came across an equation for sliding adhesion coefficient for the HSRI tire model, but could not find guidance on the typical values for coefficients kR and a. They found a similar equation from a different source, but were still curious about the origins of the first equation. They were hoping someone in the conversation could provide more information on this.
AbsoluteUnit
Hello all,

I am a graduate student working on a thesis in tire dynamics and simulation.
I have came across the following equation for sliding adhesion coefficient for the HSRI tire model (source: Schramm et. al. Vehicle Dynamics, Modeling and Simulation, pg. 182):

1645683957431.png

Unfortunately, Schramm et. al. did not provide any guidance on what the typical values for coefficients kR and a should be, so I started attempting to track down the source of this formulation in hopes that there would be some usable values.

The closest I have come to is the following form from Dugoff, Fencher, & Segel (1969) (who are members of the HSRI, Michigan, pretty cool) that is kind of similar, but not exactly:
1645684225085.png

Note: uw is the tire longitudinal velocity.

I can definitely contend and simply use this form, however I can't help but feel curious about the origins of the 1st form above since I have combed a lot of literature on the HSRI model, but Schramm et. al. is the first instance I have seen this, and it has been bothering me ever since like an itch that I cannot scratch.

I hope someone here can finally break this curse for me, thank you kindly.

AbsUnit

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Unified Theory of Tire and Rubber Friction by H W Kummer and W E Mayer
The Physics of the Tire Traction by D F Hays and A L Brooke (more comprehensible)

• Informative
Likes AbsoluteUnit and berkeman
Hello Mike, I got side tracked by a lot and was advised to focus on other aspects of my research, but I would still like to say thank you for the recommended resources, cheers.

Likes berkeman and Ranger Mike

1. What is the sliding adhesion coefficient equation?

The sliding adhesion coefficient equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the coefficient of friction between two surfaces in contact during sliding motion.

2. How is the sliding adhesion coefficient equation derived?

The sliding adhesion coefficient equation is derived from the Amontons-Coulomb law of friction, which states that the frictional force between two surfaces is directly proportional to the normal force and the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the sliding adhesion coefficient?

The sliding adhesion coefficient is affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces, the materials of the surfaces, the temperature, and the presence of lubricants.

4. How is the sliding adhesion coefficient equation used in research and industry?

The sliding adhesion coefficient equation is commonly used in research and industry to predict the frictional behavior of different materials in contact. It is also used to optimize the design of sliding systems and improve their performance.

5. Are there any limitations to the sliding adhesion coefficient equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the sliding adhesion coefficient equation. It assumes that the surfaces in contact are smooth and homogeneous, and it does not take into account the effects of surface adhesion or wear. Additionally, the equation may not accurately predict the frictional behavior of materials with complex surface textures or under extreme conditions.