Data sources for Vehicle Dynamics Model validation?

In summary, Jedishrfu is looking for a dataset that he can use to validate a model he has created for his masters thesis. He has tried contacting the authors of the papers that may be able to provide something for him to use, but has not had any success. He has also tried to simulate a couple of datasets, but is not sure if they are sufficient. He has tried contacting the author of a paper that may have what he is looking for embedded inside its metadata, but has not had any success. He has also tried to contact the author of a paper that presents maneuvers such as steady-state turning, lane change, and braking while in a turn, but has not had any success. He has resorted to validating his
AbsoluteUnit
Hello all,

I have written a VDM for my Masters thesis, unfortunately, since I am from a discipline other than mechanical engineering I don't have access to reliable validation material or a way to produce it (moreover, we don't have an actual vehicle testing lab/area at the U that I know of). Furthermore, I am not familiar with the resources that ME students might already know. I have discussed this with my advisor to no avail, since the topic I am working on unexpectedly branched way outside both our domain of expertise.

Essentially, I am looking for a data set (open source, or proprietary-- at this point, I can spend some money if needed) that I can perform validation on. The key maneuvers are:
  1. Straight braking to a stop
  2. Braking in a turn
The key features of the data should include:
  • Vehicle trajectory and orientation
  • Vehicle velocity
  • Tire parameters, e.g. slip stiffness and carcass stiffness

I have been thralling the internet for such material and found some papers here and there e.g.
  • Validation of Computer Simulations of Vehicle Dynamics, Bernard & Clover
  • Test Methods and Computer Modeling for the Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling (1986), Allen et. al
  • Yaw Testing of an Instrumented Vehicle with and without Braking (2004), Cliff et al.
  • Development and Validation of a Vehicle Model for the National Advanced Driving Simulator (1996) Salaani, M. (and some other of Salaani's works)
But I don't think I can get a reliable data set by grabbing it off those papers by tracing/eyeballing and the datasets are typically incomplete/obscured.

I am in the final stretch of my thesis and this has been the issue that is plaguing me for a while now, so I hope someone here can give me some recommendations. Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried contacting the authors of the papers that may be able to provide something for you to use?

Also could you simulate a couple of datasets, one with perfect numbers and one where you randomly vary the perfect numbers by some tolerance amount. While not perfect, it could be sufficient to test your code for your advisor to say okay you did it.

Likes AbsoluteUnit
I found this dataset for self driving cars that may have what you're looking embedded inside its metadata:

https://www.a2d2.audi/a2d2/en.html

and this blog on available datasets for self driving cars:

• Informative
Likes AbsoluteUnit, berkeman and jim mcnamara
jedishrfu said:
I found this dataset for self driving cars that may have what you're looking embedded inside its metadata:

https://www.a2d2.audi/a2d2/en.html

and this blog on available datasets for self driving cars:

jedishrfu,

Thank you for the suggestions.
I read through the description of the data sets, but I'm not sure if it contains what I need, or if I currently have the luxury of time or expertise to tinker around a lot (maybe in the future, this is actually pretty cool stuff ngl!).

jedishrfu said:
Have you tried contacting the authors of the papers that may be able to provide something for you to use?

Also could you simulate a couple of datasets, one with perfect numbers and one where you randomly vary the perfect numbers by some tolerance amount. While not perfect, it could be sufficient to test your code for your advisor to say okay you did it.

I have currently resorted to validating my model against the model results presented in "An Analysis of Tire Traction Properties and Their Influence on Vehicle Dynamic Performance" (Dugoff, Fancher, Segel) which presents maneuvers such as: steady-state turning, lane change, and braking while in a turn; and provides sufficient information regarding the tire parameters assumed, and inputs (torque, steer angles) to their model. For example:
1649472681436.png

I plan to digitize their plots and compare it to my model outputs. I believe that should be sufficient to indicate that "hey, my model isn't that silly"?

However, the pure straight-line braking was not presented in the paper, and I am figuring out a way to externally validate simple braking in the simulation (although I am also not sure if it is necessary). I am thinking that I can probably do some hand computations or write a simple linear model and compare the result to my model... Sounds silly in my head but I suspect that's reasonable? Sorry, just throwing stuff at the wall and hope something sticks.

Thank you for the feedback, I don't really have anyone to do a back-and-forth on this in my department.
AU

I had a math prof who used that very expression as he tried to get me a physics major to attend some math seminars because of my interest saying if you throw enough mud at the wall some of it will stick.

I guess I was the wall and the mud was math now that I think about it.

1. What types of data sources are commonly used for validating Vehicle Dynamics Models?

There are several types of data sources that are commonly used for validating Vehicle Dynamics Models. These include experimental data collected from real-world vehicle tests, data from driving simulators, and data from computational simulations.

2. How can experimental data be collected for Vehicle Dynamics Model validation?

Experimental data for Vehicle Dynamics Model validation can be collected using various methods such as instrumenting a vehicle with sensors, using motion capture systems, or using specialized testing equipment like a dynamometer or a wind tunnel.

3. What are the advantages of using data from driving simulators for Vehicle Dynamics Model validation?

Using data from driving simulators for Vehicle Dynamics Model validation allows for controlled and repeatable testing conditions, as well as the ability to simulate a wide range of driving scenarios and conditions that may be difficult or dangerous to replicate in real-world testing.

4. How can data from computational simulations be used for Vehicle Dynamics Model validation?

Data from computational simulations can be used for Vehicle Dynamics Model validation by comparing the model's predictions to the simulated data. This allows for testing and refining the model in a virtual environment before conducting real-world experiments.

5. What are some challenges associated with using data sources for Vehicle Dynamics Model validation?

Some challenges associated with using data sources for Vehicle Dynamics Model validation include the need for accurate and high-quality data, the complexity of interpreting and analyzing the data, and the potential for biases or errors in the data collection process. Additionally, data sources may not always fully capture the complexity and variability of real-world driving conditions, which can impact the accuracy and reliability of the model validation process.