Help! I'm Stuck on an Equation My Professor Gave Me

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student's frustration with their professor's teaching style. The professor only provides an equation without any explanation or guidance, which makes it difficult for the student to solve the problem. The guidelines state that the student must show effort and provide their own thoughts and strategies in order to receive help. The community will point out if the student is going in the wrong direction.
moeug1999
Homework Statement
A 1.82 10-9 C charge has coordinates x = 0, y = −2.00; a 2.88 10-9 C charge has coordinates x = 3.00, y = 0; and a -4.90 10-9 C charge has coordinates x = 3.00, y = 4.00, where all distances are in cm. Determine magnitude and direction for the electric field at the origin and the instantaneous acceleration of a proton placed at the origin.
(a) Determine the magnitude and direction for the electric field at the origin (measure the angle counterclockwise from the positive x-axis).

(b) Determine the magnitude and direction for the instantaneous acceleration of a proton placed at the origin (measure the angle counterclockwise from the positive x-axis).
Relevant Equations
Coulombs Law (?)
My professor does not walk us through the problem. He literally just gave us an equation and that's it. I do not know how to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to our guidelines, you must show some effort towards solving the problem. We do not provide solutions. If you want to be "walked through", you need to get up first and start walking. This means that you should post the equation that your professor gave you and include your own thoughts and strategies about how to apply it to answer the questions posed by the problem. If you are headed in the wrong direction, we will point it out.

1. How do I approach solving the equation my professor gave me?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the equation. Then, try to identify any known values or variables. Next, use the appropriate mathematical operations to isolate the variable you are trying to solve for. Finally, double-check your work and use any necessary tools, such as a calculator, to find the solution.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a step while solving the equation?

If you get stuck on a step, try to look for patterns or relationships within the equation. You can also try to use different mathematical methods or formulas to solve the equation. If you are still having trouble, don't hesitate to ask your professor or a classmate for help.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve the equation?

It depends on the instructions given by your professor. Some equations may require you to show your work and use manual calculations, while others may allow the use of a calculator. Make sure to follow the guidelines provided by your professor.

4. What should I do if I cannot solve the equation my professor gave me?

If you have tried multiple methods and still cannot solve the equation, don't panic. Take a break and come back to it with a fresh mind. You can also try discussing the problem with your peers or seeking help from your professor during office hours.

5. How can I check if my solution to the equation is correct?

The best way to check if your solution is correct is to plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is most likely correct. You can also use online equation solvers or ask your professor for confirmation.