Help in calculating the orbiting height of a satellite?

In summary, the formula for calculating the orbiting height of a satellite is h = (GM/R^2)^1/3 - R, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and R is the radius of the Earth. The factors that affect the orbiting height of a satellite include the mass of the Earth, the gravitational constant, the velocity of the satellite, and the centripetal force acting on the satellite. The velocity of a satellite in orbit can be determined using the formula v = √(GM/R), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and R is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth. The orbiting height of a
jms4
I have a satellite orbiting at a velocity of 3850Km/hr around planet Earth in a circular orbit, please help me in calculating it's height of orbit. I do know that the closer a satellite is, the faster it's orbital velocity, and the farther it is the slower it would be, and help me with the formulas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you calculate the force on the satellite? Do you know how to calculate the acceleration in a circular orbit?

What is the formula for calculating the orbiting height of a satellite?

The formula for calculating the orbiting height of a satellite is h = (GM/R^2)^1/3 - R, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and R is the radius of the Earth.

What are the factors that affect the orbiting height of a satellite?

The factors that affect the orbiting height of a satellite include the mass of the Earth, the gravitational constant, the velocity of the satellite, and the centripetal force acting on the satellite.

How do you determine the velocity of a satellite in orbit?

The velocity of a satellite in orbit can be determined using the formula v = √(GM/R), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and R is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth.

What is the significance of the orbiting height of a satellite?

The orbiting height of a satellite is significant because it determines the satellite's speed, stability, and visibility from the ground. It also affects the satellite's ability to communicate with Earth and its coverage area.

Can the orbiting height of a satellite be changed?

Yes, the orbiting height of a satellite can be changed by adjusting the satellite's velocity or by using thrusters to alter its trajectory. However, these changes must be carefully calculated to avoid collisions with other satellites or debris in orbit.