Help in control systems with feedfoward

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving designing a proportional controller to stabilize an unstable process within a unity negative feedback loop. The first part of the problem is completed correctly, but the second part, involving adding a feedforward signal, is causing confusion. The condition for the feedforward to work is that it must be stable and that F(s) should equal the inverse of the process G(s). However, there is uncertainty about the proper method for finding the inverse and converting between the time and Laplace domains. The correct equation for F(s) should be (1 + KG(s))/KG(s) rather than 1/G(s).
blalocka2012
<< Moderator Note -- thread moved from the EE forum to the HH forums >>

Hi I am doing a HW assignment for my control systems and I just need some clarifications on some concepts so i can solve the problem. This is the current problem I am working on.

36) (Homework 4 Problem 2 – Feedforward Control) Consider an unstable process
G(S) = Y(S)/U(S) = 8/(s-2)
Y s G s driven by a controller C(s)=U(s)/E(s) where E(s)=R(s)-Y(s). That is
the process is stabilized by embedding it within a unity negative feedback loop. Assume
that the initial conditions of G(s) are all zero (that is, you may use a transfer function
block when simulating G(s) in Simulink).
36.1) Design a simple proportional controller C(s)=K > 0 to make the loop stable. For
instance, does K=0.5 do the job? Verify by Simulink simulation that indeed the loop is
stable. Show also a case of instability as K has an incorrect value, such as K=0.1.
36.2) Assume that in the system of 36.1 the output y(t) needs to be able to track a ramp
signal r(t) = 4t for t ≥ 0 (that is, R(s) = 2/s
2 ) with zero error (either all the time, if
possible, or at least at steady-state). Without changing the feedback loop, as designed in
36.1, add a feedforward signal rff(t) to the command r(t) in order to achieve y(t) ≈ r(t).
Find Rff(s) analytically so that Y(s)=(R(s)+Rff(s))·KG(s)/(1+KG(s))=R(s). Then find what
Rff(s) means in the time domain (that is, find the signal rff(t) and decide how to
implement it). Show in Simulink simulation that your design works.

I have done the first part correct and that part was easy but the second part I am a little confused on. I know that for the feed foward to make sure we have no error that it must be stable itself so it can have no poles in the RHP. And I know that there are two conditions for the feed foward to work. The first is that the system be stable and the second is that F(s) = inverse of the Process G(s). So with that the problem I am having is the G(S) and taking the inverse. I get F(s) = (s-2)/8 and when I do that and try to run it I don't think that it is a proper transfer function. So when that didn't work I tried to convert it back into the time domain take the inverse and then convert it back into the laplace domain and I got the transfer function F(s) = 8/(s+2) but I'm not sure if I am doing that right. once I do that I created the system function using mason formula and then solve for K when my system would be stable but I didnt get the correct answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a forum on PF dedicated to homework, so, in the future, you should post your problems there instead.

With that said, it's this:
$$
F(s) \frac{KG(s)}{1 + KG(s)} = 1 \Leftrightarrow F(s) = \frac{1 + KG(s)}{KG(s)}
$$
you want. Not:
$$
F(s) G(s) = 1 \Leftrightarrow F(s) = \frac{1}{G(s)}
$$
Can you see why?

1. What is the purpose of a feedforward control system?

A feedforward control system is designed to anticipate disturbances or changes in the system and take corrective action before they affect the output. It provides a preemptive approach to maintaining system stability and performance.

2. How does a feedforward control system differ from a feedback control system?

A feedforward control system takes corrective action before a disturbance affects the output, while a feedback control system reacts to changes in the output after they have occurred. Feedforward systems are more efficient in maintaining system stability, but they require accurate predictions of disturbances.

3. What are some common applications of feedforward control systems?

Feedforward control systems are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, aerospace, and robotics, where precise and timely control is necessary. They are also used in chemical processes, power plants, and transportation systems.

4. What are the main components of a feedforward control system?

A feedforward control system typically consists of a sensor to measure the input, a controller to analyze the input and generate a control signal, and an actuator to adjust the output based on the control signal. It may also include a predictor to estimate disturbances and a compensator to adjust for any discrepancies between the predicted and actual disturbances.

5. What are some advantages of using feedforward control systems?

Feedforward control systems can improve system performance, reduce response time, and increase stability. They are also less susceptible to noise and disturbances compared to feedback control systems. Additionally, they can be implemented alongside feedback control systems for even better control and performance.