Help Kathy Write a Book on Electricity & Tesla: What's Missing?

• Thread starter Cool4Kat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tesla
In summary, Tesla fans may be angry with Kathy for writing a book that mentions him, but she includes a section on the polyphase generator and motor and a bit about his interactions with Westinghouse.
jim hardy said:
Don't forget about GE's Steinmetz.
I remember reading about Steinmetz for a book report in about 9th grade or so (about 1959). The book I read was surely published after WW II, so I don't believe Steinmetz was "written out of history."

Physics news on Phys.org
Heck, in ~4th grade, about 1953, I remember reading a story about Steinmetz reassembling a shattered mirror.
From http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/charles-proteus-steinmetz-the-wizard-of-schenectady-51912022/ :

One Friday afternoon in 1921, Steinmetz hopped in his electric car and headed off for a weekend at Camp Mohawk, where he’d built a small house overlooking Viele Creek. When he arrived he’d discovered that lightning had damaged the building and shattered a large silver glass mirror. He spent the entire weekend painstakingly reconstructing the mirror, placing the slivers between two panes of glass. Once assembled, he studied the pattern and was convinced that the shattered mirror revealed the lightning’s path of electrical discharge. Back at General Electric, he brought in a gigantic apparatus, then another. There were thunderous crashes at odd hours of the night. The city was abuzz with speculation. What exactly was the Wizard of Schenectady doing in Building 28?

In March of 1922, reporters were invited to General Electric and gathered before a model village that Steinmetz had constructed. In a noisy and explosive demonstration witnessed by Edison himself, Steinmetz unveiled a 120,000-volt lightning generator. With a showman’s flourish, he flipped a switch and produced lighting bolts that splintered large blocks of wood, decimated the steeple on a white chapel and split a miniature tree. Reporters were awestruck. The following day, a headline in the New York Times proclaimed, “http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F40717FD34541B7A93C1A91788D85F468285F9.” Steinmetz’s work led to the measures used to protect power equipment from lightning strikes.

If I read this in the early 50's in The Weekly Reader there must have been no information vacuum about the man.

Thanks guys for the Steinmetz references. I must've been just unlucky to miss him.

Those experiments jim mcnamara described inspired the title of his biography "Modern Jupiter".

old jim

Tesla as Prestidigitator:

http://www.thechristianidentityforum.net/downloads/Tesla-Time.pdf

Just read chapter 1, The Modern Prometheus

An invitation to his lab was an invitation to a magic show. He gave many public "lectures" during his career that were essentially the same kind of show.

Evo said:
Hi,
Yes Tesla was for eugenics. But to understand this you need to know Tesla himself and his time too.
Tesla was the perfect scientist, the living thinking machine. Please read NT: My Inventions and pick up his philosophy how the human thinking and action works through subliminal messages.
In his time eugenics was an advanced scientific theory which tryed to determine how the world need to progress in the future. Of course his followers doesn't understand the working of this world. :)

Last edited:
Instead of trying to pick up on past scientists and things they might have done or didn't do that may have been ahead of their time, what really matters is what we are able to do in the present. Whether that is the arithmetic that a second grader does, or more advanced mathematics and physics, in many ways, it is a very similar process. Even basic arithmetic, and advancing to fractions and division and multiplication, can be quite fascinating. I once had a professor in college tell us that he "does not worship gods", referring to other mathematicians and physicists, some of whom were semi-famous, and who had something of a following. It's more important what we as individuals are able to do. Hopefully this wasn't too far off topic, but it is how I feel about whether it's Newton, or Tesla, or anybody else.

Likes Asymptotic and Evo
phinds said:
Tesla is seriously overrated.
I second that.
dkotschessaa said:
When did the whole "Tesla is the unsung hero of science" thing get so big? Seems to have resulted from a few internet memes and a webcomic iirc
This is something I've wondered about too. And there is something about Tesla and some of his admirers that give me the feelings of cult and cult followers (which makes me cringe and shiver :eek: :smile:).
And hearing about Tesla makes me reach for... (link)

Likes Evo, davenn and nsaspook
I think the fascination with Tesla started way before the internet. I first noticed it 25 years ago. I have a number of books on Tesla and his work and what I have noticed is a general tendency towards a "poor us/poor me" attitude.
-
I have ALWAYS thought he was pretty much a nut. Numerous times I have referred to "Tesla worshipping fools". Surprisingly, when I google that phrase with quotes, there is only one hit.
-
Edit: My bad, two hits.
-
https://www.google.com/search?ei=WqKQWpm2N8nNjwT1go7gCA&q="tesla+worshipping+fools"&oq="tesla+worshipping+fools"&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1.7648.8480.0.8742.2.2.0.0.0.0.99.191.2.2.0...0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.91...0.-FO1_aFN4pQ

Likes berkeman
Charles Link said:
I once had a professor in college tell us that he "does not worship gods", referring to other mathematicians and physicists, some of whom were semi-famous, and who had something of a following. It's more important what we as individuals are able to do. Hopefully this wasn't too far off topic, but it is how I feel about whether it's Newton, or Tesla, or anybody else.
But there's literally a Tesla in the sky! Born of immaculate design in a plant here on Earth, it lived among the people before ascending to on high, carried by three burning angels.
Praise be.

Likes RonL, DennisN and Charles Link
If one looks at the number of patents filed by N Tesla, it might be possible Einstein had to work on a good number of them, hard for anyone not to be impressed in my opinion. :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
Instead of trying to pick up on past scientists and things they might have done or didn't do that may have been ahead of their time, what really matters is what we are able to do in the present. Whether that is the arithmetic that a second grader does, or more advanced mathematics and physics, in many ways, it is a very similar process. Even basic arithmetic, and advancing to fractions and division and multiplication, can be quite fascinating. I once had a professor in college tell us that he "does not worship gods", referring to other mathematicians and physicists, some of whom were semi-famous, and who had something of a following. It's more important what we as individuals are able to do. Hopefully this wasn't too far off topic, but it is how I feel about whether it's Newton, or Tesla, or anybody else.

Human knowledge generally but especially scientific knowledge developing itself through the cooperation of the individual followers. It’s a team game of centuries. My favorite metaphor in this line was used by Newton:
” If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”
Befor we can do anything in science we must know the history of the field of investigation. So the very first thing we shall do is learning the works of scientists befor us. But this is just a little part of our tasks. We shall know also why and how a theory was developed what was the philosophy, the logic behind it, to be able as individuals continue that work or starting an another one. And befor we starting to think consciously about something we shall know also our own capabilities fg. how our mind works through subliminal messages, how our mind solves problems etc. but this to discuss would be off this topic.
I agree, we shall not worship anybody but we shall know the works of men of science especially if they had done great work and had brilliant ideas and minds. :)

Likes Charles Link
Hmm. Here is my 2 cents. I think we must look at Tesla in his time. Not ours. Look at his patents. Look at the people who cannot duplicate what he did. Look at what HE DID IN HIS TIME.Look at the people who lie about him.Look at the people who stole from him. Look at who profited from his expertise. I am not sure what the truth about him is. I am sure NO ONE has told the truth about him.So sad.

scott mcfee said:
Hmm. Here is my 2 cents. I think we must look at Tesla in his time. Not ours. Look at his patents. Look at the people who cannot duplicate what he did.
Well, you said we should judge him in his time and then almost immediately judged him against today. So here's both, separately:

1. There is little doubt that in his time he was a cutting-edge genius inventor.
2. What he did then is not cutting-edge today.

Don't mistake the fact that people can't duplicate his efforts to mean he was ahead of where we are today. Even Tesla fans know that he was secretive, disorganized and a terrible communicator. We can't duplicate what he did simply because he didn't tell us!

Likes Averagesupernova and anorlunda
Being gifted is no guarantee against getting obsessive and going 'off the deep end' . Westinghouse surely didn't fire him without a reason. .

Likes Averagesupernova and russ_watters
scott mcfee said:
... I am not sure what the truth about him is. I am sure NO ONE has told the truth about him.So sad.
Scott, a ridiculous set of conspiracy theories have grown up around Tesla and that statement by you seems to indicate that you have been sucked in by them. I suggest you read this entire thread and check out some of the links, particularly the degugging link posted by Evo in post #17

Likes russ_watters, jim hardy and berkeman
FYI, one of the sortascience channels did a series on trying to build Tesla's Death Ray. I watched a few episodes and while it was kinda interesting to start, it got old fast.

They had two teams working simultaneously:
1. Team 1 was engineers who were building the Death Ray.
2. Team 2 was historians researching Tesla lore and looking for clues about how the Death Ray might have been constructed/worked.

Obviously we have a problem here: how can the engineers build it until the historians find the documentation first? Clearly, they can't. So what did they do?
a. Build a tesla coil that doesn't qualify as a Death Ray the way lore suggests.
b. Fry things with arcs and somehow manage not to kill themselves.

And the historians? Well, they spent most of one episode looking down a well. Seriously. In other episodes they interviewed relatives of guys who knew people who once met Tesla. Walked around property where experiments were performed. Dug holes looking for tunnels that GPR told them didn't exist or were collapsed. Looked at documents in libraries. Ok, that last one was useful. What they found is what we already know: Tesla was a terrible documentor/communicator.

All-in-all, too much drivel to hold my attention.

Likes Averagesupernova
russ_watters said:
FYI, one of the sortascience channels did a series on trying to build Tesla's Death Ray. I watched a few episodes and while it was kinda interesting to start, it got old fast.
Yeah, I watched a few minutes of one episode and gave up quickly.

Likes russ_watters
Many inventions come out of playfulness
Too bad contemporaries Tesla and Grieg didn't get to see their handiwork brought together.

Likes phinds, nuuskur and russ_watters