Why is My Mathcad 13 Not Working After Editing .xml and .mpl Files?

• Thread starter lfwake2wake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathcad
In summary: It's also important to remember to always create a backup when making changes to important files like these to avoid similar issues in the future. In summary, the speaker had Mathcad 13 installed on their computer and was frustrated that certain units were missing and had to be defined manually. They edited some files to add the units, but didn't make a backup and now Mathcad won't load. They are studying abroad and don't have the installation disc, so they are looking for a solution or for someone to send them the original files they edited. Reinstalling Mathcad or finding the original files online are the only potential solutions.
lfwake2wake
I have Mathcad 13 installed on my computer and was getting annoyed that my kJ, kmol, and mmHg units did not exist and had to be defined at the top of every new assignment. So I found that by editing the .xml and .mpl files, the units could be added. Stupidly, I figured I would not make a mistake and did not create a backup, yet now that I have finished, Mathcad refuses to load. I get the typical application error: "Mathcad Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have tried restarting my computer and everything, but the only solution I see is reinstalling the software. However, I am currently studying abroad and do not have the disc with me. I was wondering if anybody has a solution, or if anybody has the .xml and .mpl files that I have edited and would be willing to send to me...they weigh in at a combined size of under 100 KB.

/mpl/mcdunitsystemsi.mpl

and

/units/unit-system-SI.xml

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, since you don't have the disc, reinstalling Mathcad is likely the only solution. However, you may be able to find a copy of the original files online if you search for them. It's possible that someone else has previously encountered the same issue and uploaded their original files for others to use. Alternatively, you could try contacting Mathworks (the makers of Mathcad) and see if they can provide you with the original files.

Dear user,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with Mathcad. It seems like the editing of the .xml and .mpl files may have caused the software to malfunction. I would recommend trying to restore the files to their original state, if possible, to see if that resolves the issue. If not, then reinstallation may be necessary.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the files you have mentioned as they are specific to your installation of Mathcad. I would suggest reaching out to the support team of Mathcad or the company from which you purchased the software for assistance. They may be able to provide you with the necessary files or guide you through the reinstallation process.

I hope you are able to resolve the issue and continue with your work. Best of luck.

1. Why is Mathcadd not working?

There could be a variety of reasons why Mathcadd is not working. It could be due to a technical issue with the software, a compatibility issue with your device, or a problem with your internet connection. It is best to troubleshoot and narrow down the specific issue in order to determine the cause.

2. How can I fix Mathcadd if it's not working?

If Mathcadd is not working, try restarting the software or your device. If the issue persists, check for any updates or contact the Mathcadd support team for assistance. It may also be helpful to provide specific details about the problem you are experiencing.

3. Is Mathcadd not working for everyone?

No, not necessarily. Mathcadd may be working for some users but not for others. It could be due to individual technical issues or differences in device compatibility. It is best to troubleshoot and determine the specific issue for your own use.

4. Can I access Mathcadd from any device?

Mathcadd is a web-based software that can be accessed from any device with internet access. However, it is recommended to use a device with a larger screen, such as a computer or tablet, for optimal use.

5. Is there a cost for using Mathcadd?

Mathcadd offers a free trial and a paid subscription option for continued use. The cost of the subscription may vary depending on the features and services included. It is best to check the Mathcadd website for the most up-to-date pricing information.