Help Me Calculate Wind Power in Turbine Shaft!

In summary: Overall, it is recommended to use a combination of methods and to seek out additional resources for help with your calculations. In summary, to calculate the power in a wind turbine shaft, you can use an inverter, a torque meter, or equations of motion, but it's important to ensure accurate measurements and consider seeking additional resources for help.
xstarlogic
I really need help in my undergraduate thesis which focus on wind energy.

Goal
I want to calculate the amount of Power in the wind turbine shaft, which later used to calculate the efficiency of my wind turbine.

Material
My wind turbine uses 3-blade household common fan as blade which have diameter of 39 cm and is conected to a shaft which have diameter of 9 mm.

Measureable
Using the available measuring device, I can therefore measure:
- Wind Speed (m/s)
- Rotational speed (rpm)
- Generator Voltage (V)
- Generator Current (A)

Measuring attempt flaw
I tried making a simple dynamometer with breaking system on the shaft, the brake system was connected to a Newton scale. The result was full of flaw as the brake was instable causing vibration in the Newton-scale. When the recorded data was calculated, with wind speed of 6.5 m/s, the Power in the shaft was 0.7 Watt, But when a loaded Generator was attached to the shaft, the generator generates 3 Watt.

I tried to calculate by means of Inertia, but disigning and attaching flywheel needs plenty of time. Furthermore the Tachometer available calculate speed of rotation approximately at rpm with update rate of 1.5 seconds (Time flaw)

My last option is to use generator, or by electrical means.

All help are appreciated, if posible please reffer the resource. Lots of Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
.SolutionOne way to calculate the power in a wind turbine shaft is to use an inverter and measure the input and output power of the inverter. The input power is equal to the power of the wind turbine, and the output power is equal to the power in the shaft. This method can be used with any type of wind turbine, and has the advantage of being relatively quick and easy to set up. Additionally, this method allows you to measure the efficiency of your wind turbine by comparing the input and output power. Another option is to use a torque meter, which measures the torque applied to the shaft and then calculates the power based on the rotational speed. This method is more accurate than the inverter method, but requires more time and effort to set up.Finally, you could also calculate the power in the shaft using the equations of motion. This requires knowledge of the mass of the rotating parts, the rotational speed, and the air density, among other parameters. This method is the most accurate, but is also the most complex. Whichever method you choose, it's important to make sure that your measurements are as accurate as possible, as even small errors in your calculations can lead to large discrepancies in the results.

1. How do I calculate the wind power in a turbine shaft?

The formula for calculating wind power in a turbine shaft is P = 0.5 x A x ρ x V^3, where P is power, A is the area of the turbine blades, ρ is the air density, and V is the wind speed. This will give you the maximum theoretical power output of the turbine shaft.

2. What is the difference between theoretical and actual wind power output?

Theoretical wind power output is the maximum possible power that can be generated by a turbine shaft, assuming perfect conditions. Actual wind power output takes into account factors such as wind speed fluctuations, air density, and turbine efficiency, which may cause the actual power output to be lower than the theoretical value.

3. How can I determine the area of the turbine blades for the calculation?

The area of the turbine blades can be calculated by measuring the diameter of the rotor and using the formula A = π x (d/2)^2, where A is the area and d is the diameter. Alternatively, the manufacturer's specifications may provide the area of the turbine blades.

4. What is the average wind speed that should be used in the calculation?

The average wind speed used in the calculation should be the annual average wind speed at the location where the turbine is installed. This can be obtained from local weather data or from wind resource maps.

5. How can I improve the wind power output of a turbine shaft?

The wind power output of a turbine shaft can be improved by selecting a location with higher average wind speeds, increasing the area of the turbine blades, and regularly maintaining and optimizing the turbine for maximum efficiency. Additionally, using multiple turbines in an array can also increase overall power output.