Help me choose 8 out of these 14 courses please....

• Thread starter austinmw89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the individual is starting their MSEE program and is considering a mix of the "Sensing and Information" track and the "Signal Processing and Communications" track. They have narrowed down their course options to 14, but can only take 8 or 9. They are seeking advice on which courses to take based on industry demand and potential salaries. However, their advisor advises them to choose classes they enjoy, not just based on job prospects. The individual mentions their interest in electronics and computer architecture, but their advisor discourages them from specializing in VLSI. They are concerned about choosing a dead-end field and need to consider paying back their student loans.
austinmw89
Hi! I'm just beginning my MSEE program and am planning to do a mix of the "Sensing and Information" track as well as the "Signal Processing and Communications" track at my university. I've narrowed my course possibilities down to 14 courses, but I'll only be able to take 8 or 9 of them. I don't have much knowledge of industry demand, outlook, salaries, etc. beyond what I'm able to google, and I know that these things can be region specific, but I'm hoping someone can give me a general sense of what course knowledge may be higher/lower in demand as well as what specializations pay better than others.

So which of these would you take?

EC505 Stochastic Processes
EC504 Advanced Data Structures
EC535 Introduction to Embedded Systems
EC508 Wireless Communication
EC521 Cybersecurity w/ Intro to Networking co-req
EC544 Networking the Physical World
EC541 Computer Communication Networks
EC516 Digital Signal Processing
EC571 Digital VLSI Circuit Design
EC513 Computer Architecture
EC517 Introduction to Information Theory
EC520 Digital Image Processing and Communication
EC519 Speech Processing by Humans and Machines
EC561 Error Control CodesAny advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bear it mind that you need to consider not only future job prospects, but also which areas are more interesting/motivating for you.
If it were me I think I would include 504,513,517 and 519

take classes you enjoy. don't pick a specialization based on what has a better job outlook or better pay.

Recent conversation with my advisor went like this:

Me: So I'm interested in a lot of areas and don't know what to specialize in
Advisor: Just do whatever appeals to you
Me: Ok, well I liked electronics and computer architecture, so I'm thinking about VLSI
Advisor: Oh, don't do that. Anything but that.
Me: ...

So while I hear you that I need to take classes I enjoy, I also don't want to go into a dead-end field. I need to pay back all these student loans at some point. o0)

1. Can you tell me which 8 courses would be the best fit for my major or career goals?

As a scientist, I am not familiar with your specific major or career goals. It is best to seek advice from your academic advisor or a career counselor who can provide personalized recommendations based on your interests and goals.

2. Which 8 courses are the easiest or have the lightest workload?

Course difficulty and workload can vary greatly depending on the professor, the subject matter, and your personal strengths and weaknesses. It is important to thoroughly research each course and read reviews from previous students to determine which ones may be the most manageable for you.

3. Are there any courses that are particularly popular or highly recommended by other students?

It is always helpful to seek out recommendations from other students and read course reviews, but ultimately, the best courses for you may not be the most popular or highly recommended. It is important to consider your own interests and strengths when choosing courses.

4. Are there any courses that have prerequisites or require certain skills or knowledge?

Yes, many courses have prerequisites or recommended skills or knowledge. It is important to carefully review the course descriptions and requirements to ensure you have the necessary background to succeed in the course.

5. Can I take more or less than 8 courses and still graduate on time?

The number of courses required for graduation can vary depending on your major and university. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine the recommended course load for your specific program and graduation timeline.