Help me design a simple time delay (not electrical)

In summary, a simple time delay device could be made with a simple suction cup, sand, or a dry powdery material.
supak111
Hey everyone I'm trying to design a simple time delayed device. Device could me mechanical but it doesn't really have to be as long as it does what I want.

Just need something that is relatively small could be wide and tall just not thicker then 1 inch.

The device should have a arm/button that you can push down (1 inch travel at least), when you push the arm/button down it should stay down for about 2 minutes and then come out and have enough push power to push up something that's about 1/2LB. The arm/button that does the pushing/work can come out slow or fast

Engineering news on Phys.org
I smell a Hallowe'en prank!

No actually but now that you mention it, that sure would be a good device for Halloween. Do you have any ideas on how this could be achieved Dave?

I've been giving it some thought but nothing yet.

You could build a watch escarpment but that's not exactly simple

Yea. I was thinking maybe something with cylinder, spring, air and a one way valve. Kinda how the screen door closer works but flipped around. If I made the one way valve leak air a tiny little bit it would take a long time before the arm comes back

When you push the output arm down, it compresses a spring and then latches (jack-in-the-box mechanism). The latch is released by a wind-up clockwork timer.

dashpot

supak111 said:
mechanical but it doesn't really have to be as long as it does what I want.

There are lots of simple 555 timer kits on the market . Use one of those for timing and add a power stage or a relay .

The simplest and cheapest non-electronic may be kitchen, toy (e.g. Tomy), or model airplane de-thermalizer timer (e.g. Tatone). Even cheaper is Silly Putty timer. The release string slowly drags through the putty.

Don't really want to use 555 timer because its electric and won't be dirt cheap. Dashpot is too expensive and complicated, I want to keep this under a $1 if possible.

Lewis I found a lot of info on all 3 you suggested but can't really use them. My device MUST be easy/fast to push down but then it doesn't matter if it release slow or fast.

I had someone suggest a simple suction cup because he saw it used as a time delay in a bathroom paper towel dispenser. Idea like that sounds perfect but can't seem to find one that has 1" or move of travel for cheap.

Maybe you could use sand or a similar dry powdery material.
When you open a trapdoor it will flow through the gap until it's all gone, and then a small spring pushes the trapdoor back to original position.

1. What is a time delay and why is it important?

A time delay is a mechanism that intentionally slows down a process or action. It is important because it allows for precise control and coordination of events, and can prevent issues such as overload or malfunction.

2. How can I design a time delay without using electricity?

There are several methods for designing a time delay without using electricity. One option is to use a mechanical timer, which uses gears and springs to create a delay. Another option is to use a pneumatic timer, which uses air pressure to create a delay. Additionally, you can use gravity or a chemical reaction to create a time delay.

3. What factors should I consider when designing a time delay?

When designing a time delay, you should consider the duration of the delay, the accuracy required, the type of input and output signals, and the environmental conditions. You should also consider the type of mechanism or technology you plan to use and its reliability.

4. Can I use a time delay in any application?

Time delays can be used in various applications, including industrial processes, machinery, and consumer products. However, it is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of your application to ensure that a time delay is the most appropriate solution.

5. How can I test and troubleshoot my time delay design?

To test and troubleshoot your time delay design, you can use a multimeter or oscilloscope to measure the input and output signals. You can also use a logic analyzer to monitor the timing of the signals. If there are any issues, you can adjust the components or timing settings to improve the performance of your time delay.